Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Mother urges council to act after son attacked at City Walk; police and council promise follow-up

3148951 · April 29, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

A Birmingham resident told the City Council her son was attacked April 13 by a group of youths at City Walk and asked the council to overturn a juvenile magistrate decision; police said they would follow up and council members expressed support but noted limits on the council's authority.

At the April 29 Birmingham City Council meeting a resident, Mamie Easley, described an April 13 attack on her son at City Walk and asked the council to overturn a juvenile magistrate's decision not to arrest the youths she identified.

Easley said her son was "attacked by 20 young men" and that the group beat him unconscious over a ski-mask theft. She said she had spoken with police and the district attorney and that four youths had been identified but that the juvenile magistrate declined to pursue arrests. "I want these young men arrested," she told the council.

Chief Sparks of the Birmingham Police Department responded that the department would follow up. Sparks told the council the matter involved minors and that family court procedures apply; he said the police would provide guidance and follow up "to make sure that our police department provides you with the proper guidance."

Council members expressed sympathy and support for Easley. Councilor Spindler said she had seen the video and offered to help find contact information for follow-up; Councilor Tate stressed accountability and reminded the public that Alabama law allows 16-year-olds to be charged as adults in some cases.

Why it matters: The public comment highlighted community concern about youth violence and the limits of council authority in criminal-justice matters. Easley asked for greater accountability and for help identifying remaining suspects.

Next steps: Chief Sparks said the police department would follow up with Easley and the family-court juvenile magistrate to ensure the family's concerns are addressed by the appropriate authorities. No formal council action was possible at the meeting; councilors urged constituents to continue coordinating with law enforcement and the district attorney's office.

Ending: Council members offered condolences and said they would seek to support the family by directing administrative follow-up through city public-safety channels.