Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Budget And Layoffs topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
New Rochelle announces 193-position reduction to close $33 million budget gap; community and student leaders urge alternatives
Summary
New Rochelle City School District Superintendent Dr. Reynolds announced a plan to close a $33,000,000 budget gap that includes eliminating 193 positions; the district said it will notify 54 full‑time pedagogical/administrative staff and 22 full‑time‑equivalent hourly employees of layoffs, with employees retained through June 30 and placed on a seven‑year preferred‑eligibility list.
Get email alerts on the Budget And Layoffs topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
New Rochelle City School District Superintendent Dr. Reynolds told the board that multiple factors produced a $33,000,000 budget deficit and that the district must eliminate 193 positions as part of deficit reduction.
"This has been a very difficult budget year for our school district. Multiple factors have led to a $33,000,000 budget deficit, which we must close. Unfortunately, as part of our deficit reduction, we must reduce our workforce by 193 positions," Dr. Reynolds said during the reconvened public session.
The superintendent said most of the 193 positions were eliminated through natural attrition (retirements, resignations and vacant positions) but that, as of the meeting, 54 full‑time pedagogical and administrative staff and 22 full‑time‑equivalent hourly employees had been or would be notified of layoff. Those employees will remain employed through the school year, which ends June 30, and will be placed on a preferred eligibility list; if a qualifying vacancy opens within seven years, the district said it will contact those employees first.
Dr. Reynolds read a list of affected roles and schools, saying layoffs include district central administration posts (for example, the director of family and community engagement, director of social, emotional and expanded learning; an assistant director of special education; and an assistant director of security), building administrators (two middle‑school deans), and classroom positions across grades and buildings. The superintendent said the district would repurpose a recently vacated director role to an assistant director of world languages instead of creating a new position.
The district emphasized the list could change if the state budget is adopted with more aid than expected. "Please note that the state budget has not yet been adopted, and this list may still change. If the school district receives more state aid than expected, it is our intent to propose to the board that we will restore positions that are most forward facing to our students," Dr. Reynolds said.
Student and community reaction: public comment and union response
Students, parents and union leaders used the public comment period to press the board for alternatives and greater transparency. Carlos Del Aguila, a junior and student‑government representative, said students were "deeply disappointed" and called on the board to explain prior decisions that he and peers say worsened the district's finances. "We demand accountability and transparency," Del Aguila said, calling attention to programs at risk.
Parents and community speakers raised similar concerns. Vanessa Soman, a parent, said there was still time to revise specific line items in the budget and urged the board to seek targeted cuts rather than eliminate teaching positions.
Mary Claire Breslin, president of New Rochelle FUSE, said the union ratified a contract on May 12, 2023, and warned that unilateral steps such as a proposed pay freeze would conflict with union rights. "There is nothing in our constitution or bylaws that provides for undoing a democratically ratified contract vote," Breslin said.
Other commenters addressed programmatic impacts and process. Bilingual educator Karen Zager cited New York regulations on bilingual education and asked why programs were reduced at certain elementary schools; another speaker urged the board to reconsider central administration spending and out‑of‑district transportation costs. Several speakers noted the emotional toll on staff receiving layoff notices during the school day.
Why it matters
District officials described the reductions as necessary to balance the budget; speakers warned layoffs could erode instructional programs, extracurricular offerings and staff retention. The superintendent said the district will attempt to support affected employees in the transition and will issue hand‑signed layoff letters clarifying that reductions are workforce reductions and not for cause.
Votes at a glance
- Motion to go into executive session to meet with district counsel and discuss employment history of particular persons: seconded by Vega; "All in favor? Aye. Any opposed? Motion carries." (executive session held earlier and the public session later reconvened.) - Motion to reconvene the public session: seconded by Brooks; "Favor? Aye. Any opposed? Motion carries." (public session reconvened.) - Consent agenda — personnel resolutions (multiple items numbered on the agenda): motion moved by Castellano Minaya, seconded by Vega; "All in favor? Aye. Any opposed? Motion carries." (personnel resolutions approved; individuals and items listed on the public agenda.) - Resolution 25‑3‑53 authorizing a lease agreement with the Boys and Girls Club of New Rochelle: moved by Ross, seconded by Vega; vote: "All in favor? Aye. Abstentions? — Abstention. Motion carries." (lease approved; abstention recorded but speaker not identified on the record.) - Consent agenda — general resolutions (25‑3‑54 through 25‑3‑65): moved by Castellano Minaya, seconded by Brooks; "All in favor? Aye. Any opposed? Motion carries." (general resolutions approved.)
What the board said in closing
Board President William Iannuzzi led the meeting and called for motions. He and other members urged civility during public comment and asked the community to participate in the budget public hearing on May 6 and to vote on May 20. Dr. Reynolds encouraged community members to submit questions to budgetquestions@nredlearn.org and reiterated that any change in state aid could affect the layoff list.
Clarifying details
- Budget shortfall: $33,000,000 (stated by Dr. Reynolds). - Positions to be reduced: 193 total; district said most eliminated through attrition. - Notified for layoff as of meeting: 54 full‑time pedagogical/administrative staff and 22 full‑time equivalent hourly staff. - Employment through June 30; affected staff will be placed on a preferred eligibility list for up to seven years. - State budget adoption pending; district stated positions could be restored if additional aid arrives.
Where to find the record
The board set the budget public hearing for May 6 at New Rochelle High School's Whitney Auditorium and reminded voters of the May 20 budget vote at local polling stations. The board also noted its public‑comment policy (Policy 12‑30, adopted April 2022) and told speakers the board listens but typically does not respond during the same meeting. The district provided an email address for budget questions.
Ending
The board approved the consent agenda and adjourned. Community members continued to urge line‑by‑line budget revisions to avoid teacher layoffs and to preserve programming they said is central to the district's identity.

