Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Wildfire Response topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Officials describe large‑scale state and federal response to January Los Angeles wildfires; survivors urge faster, simpler access to aid

3150025 · April 28, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

A wildfire survivor and emergency officials told the Assembly subcommittee the January Palisades and Eaton fires prompted a large federal‑state response that included Army Corps debris removal, 100% federal emergency funding for 180 days and more than 260,000 FEMA applications.

A resident who lost her home in the January Eaton Canyon fire opened the subcommittee's discussion with an emotional account of losing housing, being late or not receiving evacuation notices, and mourning at least 18 people who died in the event. "I live with the shame of having trusted an app to save my life," Torreon Manor Crawford told the panel. "At least 18 lives were taken that night."

State emergency officials and the Legislative Analyst's Office then described the state and federal response. Tina Curry, Chief Deputy Director of the California Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES), said the Palisades and Eaton fires began Jan. 7 and at peak more than 16,000 personnel were engaged in firefighting. Curry said the fires burned nearly 38,000 acres and destroyed over 16,000 structures, of which more than 13,000 were residential. Cal OES established a State Operations Center, set up a joint field office in Pasadena with FEMA, and operated a 24/7 State Warning Center to provide redundancy for local alerting authorities.

Nut graf: Officials told the subcommittee that response and early recovery included multi‑agency efforts—federal environmental and Army Corps crews, Cal OES, Cal Fire, the California Military Department and local public works agencies—and that many state and federal programs operate on a reimbursement model that requires agencies and local governments to document costs before receiving federal share reimbursements.

Cal OES described specific federal actions and debris work: the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency removed about 300 tons of hazardous waste material, completing that phase by Feb. 26, the Army Corps of Engineers is conducting private property debris removal for households that opt in, and FEMA provided large‑scale public assistance and individual assistance. Cal OES said the federal government authorized 100% funding of emergency costs for 180 days for this disaster; permanent repairs and infrastructure restoration will typically use the standard FEMA cost share (commonly 75% federal/25% nonfederal) unless adjusted.

Officials reported large volumes of aid activity: FEMA had received over 260,000 applications and Cal OES said more than $22 million had been approved across FEMA programs at the time of testimony; the Small Business Administration had issued more than $2.2 billion in disaster loans. Cal OES Deputy Director Eric Swanson estimated debris and related federal costs in the LA area at roughly $3 billion and noted it is premature to estimate final state costs because claims and documentation are still being assembled. Swanson also said the federal BRIC (Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities) program cancellation could reduce California funding—he cited an estimate of about $55 million lost from selected but not yet awarded grants and about $32 million from underway projects.

Committee members and residents pressed for better outreach and simpler application processes. Crawford and others described barriers to accessing immediate aid—lost identification, confusing application steps and difficulty attending recovery‑center hours while working. Cal OES officials said they were embedded in community meetings, opened two disaster recovery centers (at UCLA and Altadena, among others), and planned to keep one‑stop recovery centers open while FEMA and the state process claims.

Ending: Cal OES reiterated its commitment to continue local engagement and to use after‑action reviews to identify improvements. The subcommittee asked agencies to produce follow‑up reporting on alert performance, outreach and the evolving fiscal impacts as federal reimbursements arrive.