Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Labor And Employment topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Airport workers urge City to enforce worker-retention, living-wage rules as layoffs rise at LAX

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Union members and LAX concessions workers told the Los Angeles City Council they have been laid off in large numbers since Sept. 11 and urged the city to withhold assistance from companies that violate living-wage and worker-retention ordinances, and to adopt a responsible-contractor requirement at the airport.

Los Angeles City Council members heard more than a dozen workers this morning urging the city to enforce existing living-wage and worker-retention rules at Los Angeles International Airport and to adopt a responsible-contractor policy for businesses that receive city relief.

Union organizer Tom Walsh told the council that airline catering, airport food and retail concessions and hotel employees represented by his union have been “extremely hard hit since September 11,” and that some employers have refused to bargain or have violated collective-bargaining agreements. “There are companies who are in violation of city ordinances such as the living wage and the worker-retention ordinance,” Walsh said.

The testimony framed a larger appeal: several speakers asked the council to condition any city economic assistance — including rent relief for airport concessionaires — on compliance with labor laws. “Only those companies who are responsible and are not taking advantage of this tragedy should receive assistance from the city,” Walsh said.

Why it matters: Speakers said layoffs at LAX have been widespread and rapid. Miguel Harrigi, a concessions worker, said he was among dozens laid off at his employer and warned that a planned retail bidding process could lead to more job losses unless the city enforces worker-retention rules during contract transitions. Roberto Barnett, a 17-year sales associate at a duty-free store, said subcontracting at his site left longtime union workers without offers of rehire and alleged retaliation when workers organized.

Council reaction and next steps: Council President Reyes and other members expressed sympathy and urged affected workers to contact the relevant city department commissioners. Reyes said he and colleagues were listening and encouraged union members to raise concerns directly with the departments that contract with LAX businesses. The council did not adopt a new ordinance or make a citywide enforcement finding during the meeting; no formal action on a responsible-contractor policy was taken on the floor today.

Public-comment context: The workers’ remarks occurred during the public comment portion of the meeting and were followed by the council granting additional time for speakers. Councilmember Brunson moved to extend the public-comment period to allow the additional witnesses to speak.

Background details and requests from speakers: Speakers repeatedly called for (1) enforcement of existing living-wage and worker-retention ordinances at the airport; (2) that companies seeking city assistance be required to prove compliance with those rules; and (3) that the Airport Commission adopt a responsible-contractor standard. Several speakers said they had filed complaints with city enforcement offices, and one said unemployment eligibility and use of vacation time had been mishandled after September 11.

Ending: The council made no changes to procurement or contracting rules at today’s meeting. Workers and union representatives said they would continue to press city departments and the Airport Commission to make enforcement a condition of financial relief to airport businesses.