Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Sewer Connections topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Southfield residents report severe property damage after septic-to-sewer conversion; city promises follow-up

3078844 · April 22, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

A Southfield senior described extensive property damage after a contractor began converting her failed septic system to city sewer service; city staff and public works officials said contractors failed to complete the work and the city is investigating and arranging remediation and follow-up with the resident.

Madeline Hobbs, a Southfield senior, told the City Council on April 20 that a contractor hired to connect her home to the city sewer after a septic failure left her property heavily damaged and the sewer work incomplete.

"I am here because I am a resident of Southfield. I'm a senior citizen. And I found that my septic tank had failed, and I needed to connect to the city's sewer," Hobbs said during the council's public communications period. She said the job began Feb. 6 and described a trench-filled worksite, broken porch steps, torn-up sidewalks and a Y‑stack left uncapped inside her basement that she temporarily taped.

The council heard similar concerns from other residents and speakers. Stacy Jackson, who identified herself as a Southfield resident and a board member of Motor City Fire, said the city's tap-in blueprints may be incorrect and asked the city to "Make this right. Find grant funding. And by all means, when you find a contractor who is not competent ... Remove these bad contractors from the list." Keith Harris, who said he has worked as a foreman on construction jobs, said he documented multiple similarly mishandled projects along 9 Mile and argued the city should not make residents pay for the repairs.

City staff responded on the record. A member of the building department told council the case was brought to staff's attention on April 17, that the sewer line was not finished when staff inspected it and that the pipe had been back‑pitched and left in standing water. The building staff member said the contractor attempted to connect to the county sewer rather than the city's and that staff had alerted the Department of Public Works and contacted hazmat to assess any sanitary discharge.

The director of public works also spoke: the city dispatched its contractor to complete the connection after the original contractor failed to return and the county required a different alignment for the sewer. Council members asked for a written follow-up; Councilman Haug asked staff to report back by early next week.

No formal council vote was taken on the matter at the April 20 meeting. Council members repeatedly promised follow-up contact with the resident, apologized for her experience and asked staff to keep the full council in the loop.

Why it matters: The council's handling of individual utility connections touches residents directly — particularly older homeowners with limited resources. The city's explanation that the contractor failed to finish and that county requirements forced a reroute underscores the practical and jurisdictional complexity that can delay repairs and increase property disruption.

What council directed and next steps: Council members asked staff to provide a report to the council and to contact Ms. Hobbs directly. The building department said it would forward its inspection report and that the public works director would continue coordinating remediation and investigate whether further enforcement or contractor debarment is warranted. The city also said it is contacting hazmat to evaluate sanitary impacts from the open trench.

Community context and related complaints: Other speakers at the meeting raised related concerns about basement flooding and cleanup after a heavy rain last year and in a recent storm. The mayor and public works director said an independent third‑party investigation of the broader flooding complaints is ongoing and that the scope of city cleanup work versus private insurance remedies varies by circumstance.

A note on attribution: Quotes and characterizations in this article are taken from the April 20 Southfield City Council meeting record; staff on the record described inspection findings, and residents described on‑site damage and health concerns.

Ending: Council members said they would follow up with Ms. Hobbs and report back to the full council; staff pledged to forward the building department's report and to coordinate next steps with public works and any necessary health or environmental reviewers.