Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Demolition Environment topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Commission approves $53,562 asbestos abatement change order at 880 First Street; demolition timeline updated

3804858 · April 23, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The commission approved a $53,562 change order for additional asbestos abatement at 880 First Street, where crews discovered additional asbestos-containing roofing materials; staff said demolition should proceed after abatement and predicted site clearing and pocket-park stabilization by summer.

The City Commission approved a $53,562 change order to address previously unrecognized asbestos-containing materials in the roofing system of the partially deconstructed building at 880 First Street.

Jake Eckholm, director of Development Services, said a rooftop abatement survey completed before targeted demolition had returned an initial estimate of about $41,000, but subsequent sampling after demolition work found additional materials under a roof layer that required further testing and abatement. Eckholm said the extra material appears limited to perimeter roofing underlayment rather than the entire roof, and that the change order would allow abatement to continue so the contractor can complete deconstruction safely.

He told commissioners the additional abatement work delayed the timeline but that demolition should proceed quickly after abatement is completed. "Once this abatement is done, we anticipate proceeding with deconstruction. I think we're talking about a matter of probably somewhere between 4 to 6 weeks," Eckholm said. Staff said the site will be backfilled and seeded for a temporary pocket park pending a future redevelopment project.

Vice Mayor St. Clair moved the change order; the motion passed by roll call vote. Eckholm also told the commission the city diverted approximately $167,000 in Arena ARP funding to the project and that even with the change order the city remains within its revised funding outlook for site work.

Ending: Staff expects abatement, deconstruction and site stabilization in the coming weeks; the city plans a temporary pocket park until a permanent redevelopment plan is selected.