Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Castle Oaks Golf Course topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Council says Hahn Foundation talks ongoing as residents seek clarity on Castle Oaks clubhouse
Summary
Council reported ongoing negotiations with the Hahn Foundation over Castle Oaks clubhouse operations and said April 30 is a planned date for transition discussions; residents requested a public explanation after hearing rumors that the golf course would close April 30.
Get email alerts on the Castle Oaks Golf Course topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Mayor Rhodes and the Island City Council reported that confidential negotiations with the Hahn Foundation over the Castle Oaks golf course clubhouse remain in progress and that April 30 is the date currently “in mind” for several parties, while residents pressed council to explain publicly whether and how the clubhouse and course would continue operations.
The matter drew public attention during the council’s April 15 meeting when resident Elmer Roady asked the council, city manager or city attorney to "tell the public what is going to happen when the golf course closes on the thirtieth," saying he had been told the course would close by Troon’s general manager.
Council returned from a closed session later in the meeting and reported that discussions with the Hahn Foundation were “positive at the moment,” that April 30 is a date under consideration, and that the foundation “has indicated that it's willing to entertain offers from new owner operators directly.” The council said it expects to work with the Hahn Foundation in the coming weeks to pursue a short-term agreement to continue operations while talks with new operators proceed.
Why it matters: the clubhouse and course are a community amenity with vocal local interest; residents asked for clarity on timing and next steps after hearing conflicting accounts from city officials and private managers.
What council reported and what remains unresolved The report after closed session said the Hahn Foundation may accept offers from prospective operators and that the city hopes to arrange a short-term agreement to maintain operations after April 30 while negotiations continue with potential new owners. Council members did not provide a public timetable for when a final agreement would be reached, and the report emphasized that details of settlement negotiations remain confidential.
Public reaction and requests for transparency During the public-comment period, Roady said he had heard differing accounts from city officials and the course’s general manager about the closing date and asked council to address the situation at the beginning of a 6 p.m. meeting so interested residents could attend. Other members of the public later urged an independent investigation into internal emails and negotiations connected with the clubhouse and council’s handling of the matter.
What to expect next Council said it would continue discussions with the Hahn Foundation and seeks a short-term operating arrangement while offers from new operators are evaluated. Officials did not announce a public forum or a date for a further public update on the Castle Oaks clubhouse during the April 15 meeting.
Ending note Council members and staff said they hope to have further updates soon but provided no specific public release schedule at the meeting.

