Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Sports Stadium Finance topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Cleveland council members demand financial details, legal briefing after Haslam Sports Group deal announced

6489826 · October 14, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Council members at the Cleveland City Council meeting pressed city leaders for spreadsheets, legal review and clearer cost allocation after Mayor Bibb announced a $100 million deal with the Haslam Sports Group tied to the Browns stadium; members raised questions about demolition costs, timing and transparency.

Council members pressed city leaders for detailed financial documents and legal review after a deal announced earlier that day between the city and the Haslam Sports Group that would direct $100 million to the city in staged payments tied to the Browns stadium.

The concerns centered on how much of the $100 million would be available for immediate needs—particularly demolition and site work—and how inflation and multi-year payment schedules would affect the net value to the city. “The $25,000,000, upfront payment … will certainly be gone by 2029,” Councilman Christopher Harsh said, noting that demolition must begin before some payments would be available. Harsh added that the $30,000,000 currently slated for demolition “is no one's estimate for what it's gonna actually cost.”

Why it matters: Council members said uncertainties about demolition and remediation costs could leave Cleveland taxpayers responsible for overruns and questioned whether the city would receive meaningful near-term benefits if large parts of the payment stream are deferred.

Several council members described gaps in the public briefing they had received. Councilman Brian Casey called the deal “dirty money” and said he was “shocked and utterly disappointed” by the announcement. Casey asked the administration for an explanation of the administration’s decision and said residents were calling council members asking why the city had not continued to “fight” to keep the team in place. Councilman Michael Polensek reviewed the arithmetic in public remarks and said that after accounting for inflation and the 20-year payment schedule, the $100 million could amount to substantially less in present value, leaving little remaining after demolition is paid.

Council members repeatedly asked for documentary backup. Councilman Kevin Conwell said members need a spreadsheet rather than an oral narrative: “You gotta bring the paperwork … the spreadsheet, how did you get to your decision.” The council president said he had a brief conversation with the law director and would follow up with the mayor, and that the council was conducting additional fact finding.

Discussion vs. decision: The exchange on Tuesday was a request for more information and a demand for briefings and legal review. No formal council action or vote on the deal was recorded in the meeting minutes.

What council members want next: Multiple members asked for a closed- or open-session briefing that includes the full financial model and legal obligations, and for the administration to provide the documents that support the deal’s cost and payment assumptions.

Context: Members repeatedly recalled the fiscal and development history of the original Browns stadium project, saying past promises to surrounding neighborhoods did not materialize and that the math behind the new transaction needed to be shown to council before further action.

Ending: The council president said the administration and the law director were already working to gather information and that follow-up briefings would be scheduled.