Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Solid Waste topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
New scrutiny and inspections curb out-of-county trash at Newland Park landfill, county staff say
Summary
After emergency legislation and stepped-up truck inspections, landfill officials reported a decline in out-of-county municipal solid-waste trucks at Newland Park. Staff described random waste-load inspections, cooperation from most haulers and one noncooperative operator; county staff said a formal permitting program is planned.
Get email alerts on the Solid Waste topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Wicomico County landfill staff told the council on Aug. 19 that stricter enforcement and a recently adopted emergency ordinance have reduced the number of out-of-county municipal solid-waste (MSW) trucks arriving at Newland Park.
Why it matters: County officials said reductions in incoming waste traffic have eased operational pressure at the landfill, improved compliance capacity and opened a path toward a formal permitting process for commercial haulers that would require manifesting and prequalification.
What staff reported - Enforcement and inspections: Acting Landfill Superintendent Adam Corey said the county has implemented random waste-load inspections and a standard operating procedure for those inspections. The approach includes visual and manifest checks, segregation of inspected loads, and audio-visual documentation of inspections when performed.
- Hauler cooperation: Corey told the council nearly all large haulers have cooperated and produced manifests during inspections; one hauler refused to provide manifest details and has held up processing of its loads pending further review. Staff said the county has notified the executive and legal department and is prepared to pursue enforcement steps if cooperation does not improve.
- Operational effects: Inspectors reported fewer MSW-style trucks, which reduced queueing and allowed landfill crews to perform other essential site functions. Staff noted revenue has not decreased so far, attributing that to a tipped increase in the county’s per-ton fee. Staff said it is too early for a full financial trend analysis and recommended monitoring through the next quarter.
- Next steps: Staff said they plan to present a permitting program to the council (modeling elements on Delaware and Cecil County programs). The proposed permit would require haulers to register and provide route and manifest information in advance, which staff said would create a stable universe of permitted haulers and make future notifications and enforcement more efficient.
Public and council questions Council members asked whether staff anticipate needing fewer employees; landfill staff said operations and planned renewable-energy projects (landfill-gas-to-energy) and cell expansions will likely require existing or higher staffing levels rather than reductions. Council members asked that staff continue to coordinate with neighboring jurisdictions to monitor waste flows and to give the public clear guidance on any new permitting and inspection rules.
Staff said they will publish the inspection SOP and begin stakeholder outreach; they estimated a draft permitting program could be presented to the council in the coming months.

