Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the K12 Schools topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Wicomico County Board of Education outlines school-safety, discipline and program expansions ahead of 2025–26 school year

5608829 · August 20, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Wicomico County Public Schools told the County Council on Aug. 19 that expanded school-safety staffing, tiered discipline interventions, a secondary-telehealth pilot, and ongoing capital projects are priorities as the district opens the 2025–26 school year.

School system leaders briefed the Wicomico County Council during an open work session on Aug. 19 on safety, discipline, prekindergarten expansion and capital projects as the district prepares for the 2025–26 school year.

Why it matters: The school presentation outlines operational and budget moves that affect classroom safety, student services and capital planning for the county’s roughly 15,600 K–12 students. Officials described investments aimed at reducing out-of-school suspensions, expanding early-intervention capacity and adding mental-health and telehealth services.

What officials said (high-level) - Safety and staffing: Superintendent Myka Stauffer and the board said the district will maintain 12 school-resource officers and is adding campus-security managers and campus-patrol staff in secondary schools. The district has contracted Maryland Center for School Safety training and added a second safe-schools coordinator; officials said these measures are part of a layered approach to prevent weapons and maintain building security.

- Discipline and interventions: Assistant Superintendent Miles and student-support staff reported a 10.2% decrease in discipline referrals from 2023–24 to 2024–25 and a 10.6% decrease in total suspension days. The district said it will expand tiered supports in elementary schools (pre-K–2 and grades 3–5) and contract targeted services (two High-Road classrooms with CESI) for students needing intensive interventions.

- Telehealth and mental health: The district plans a telehealth pilot for secondary students (grades 6–12) tied to the existing school-based health centers. Year-one services will provide four hours per school per week (30-minute appointment slots) and will operate under parental consent and the centers’ clinical oversight. District staff said telehealth services will begin after the first marking period and will be rolled out with parent communications and required consent forms.

- Pre-K and enrollment: Officials reiterated the scale of the state-mandated pre-K expansion under Maryland’s Blueprint for the Future and noted the county has seats for about 840 pre-K students but that demand exceeds that number; the board said some private providers are participating under a state–local funding split and clarified that FY26 funding responsibility for participating private providers is the county’s local share.

- Career and technical education (CTE) and middle-school sports: The board described growing CTE options across high schools, apprenticeship-style workforce partnerships with local employers, and continuing expansion of middle-school athletics (flag football, cross-country, volleyball, basketball, track, soccer and cheer), supported by the Education Foundation and Pohanka. Middle-school participation topped 1,900 last year; the district aims to exceed 2,000 participants this year.

- Capital projects: Mardela Middle/High School is nearing completion and will open for students with site work and punch-list items outstanding; Fruitland Primary construction is underway with a projected move-in in 2027 and subsequent site work. Parkside and other building repairs (roofs, doors, fire suppression) are in active project phases.

Budget transfers and resourcing The board presented three fiscal transfers related to classroom space and new intervention programs: purchase and setup of a four-classroom portable at Beaver Run Elementary and funds to equip early-learning-transition and PATH instructional spaces. Officials said the portable was needed because original construction plans were developed before the statewide pre-K expansion and that the modular classroom will provide immediate capacity while a permanent addition is completed.

Public-safety, school-entry and ICE-related questions Board staff said they had not had any ICE-related visits to schools and reiterated policy: a student is released to anyone only if the person is a parent or legal guardian listed on the school’s contact list or if a legal warrant requires different action. School officials pointed to FERPA protections, Maryland COMAR guidance and a state superintendent advisory (Feb. 13, 2025) for details; they urged anyone with questions to contact the district’s administrators or the district point of contact listed in the presentation.

Closing and next steps Board leaders said follow up files and letters (including the district’s telehealth procedures and capital updates) will be shared with the council and the public. The board asked the council to continue partnership on facility, safety and program funding as the district implements the expansions and safety upgrades.