Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Municipal Finance Litigation topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Town attorney says county tax collector backed down on proposed 2% municipal collection fee

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Town Attorney reported that a planned 2% fee on municipal collections proposed by the county tax collector will not be imposed “for the time being,” removing immediate pressure for a coordinated municipal lawsuit.

At the April 16 Town of Cutler Bay meeting, the town attorney told council members that municipal legal action contemplated over a proposed 2% fee by the county tax collector is on hold because the tax collector has “backed down,” the attorney said on the record.

The town attorney said municipalities had been considering a joint lawsuit to obtain a determination that the tax collector lacked the legal authority to impose the fee on municipal collections. “I was going to ask you if you would want to join a lawsuit being brought by the various municipalities in Miami-Dade County to obtain a determination that the tax collector does not have legal authority to impose a 2% fee on municipal collections,” the attorney said. “But I think he must have heard whispers about it because he backed down, and he's not going to be imposing a 2% fee on municipal collections at least for the time being.”

Why it matters: A permanent county-imposed collection fee would have reduced municipal revenues; the attorney’s report indicates the immediate threat has abated but could re-emerge if the tax collector revisits the proposal.

Looking ahead: The town attorney did not announce a council decision to join or decline any litigation; council members received the update and may revisit legal options if the tax collector resumes the proposed fee.