Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Parks Recreation Recovery topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

County outlines phased reopening, sales-tax rebuild at Port Charlotte Beach Park

5534419 ยท April 8, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Charlotte County staff described the phased reopening of Port Charlotte Beach Park, work already completed, and the coordinated sales-tax-funded reconstruction of the recreation center and pool. Commissioners pressed for interim public access to sand and asked staff to return with options for limited reopening and costs.

Charlotte County staff updated the Board of County Commissioners on April 8 about the phased reopening of Port Charlotte Beach Park, work completed so far, and the schedule for sales-tax-funded reconstruction of the rec center and pool.

Community Services Director Tommy Scott told the board phase 1 reopening at Inglewood Beach had been completed ahead of schedule and that similar work at Port Charlotte Beach had begun. Scott said Ashbrook (a county demolition/construction partner) removed damaged boardwalks and that storm-damaged decking, playground protections and other safety measures are under way. He asked the board to consider temporarily suspending parking fees at county beaches while access is limited; the board voted unanimously to suspend beach parking fees until further notice.

Travis Purdue, facilities director for the countyโ€™s sales-tax-funded pool and rec center project, gave a progress update: demolition of damaged structures has been completed, construction documents for the new rec center and pool are under review, permitting and GMP (guaranteed maximum price) work are being prepared and site work/grading is scheduled to begin in May. Purdue said vertical construction is expected to begin in Julyโ€“August 2025, with the program planned to proceed in parallel to capture economies of scale. Staff said the overall project remains on the sales-tax schedule and said the county coordinated demolition work to avoid duplicative expenses later in the rebuild.

Residents from the Buena Vista Property Owners Association and other neighborhood groups pressed commissioners for quicker reopening of part of the beach park (they repeatedly asked for phase-2 partial reopening that would allow access to sand, pavilions and the east pavilion area). Community members argued the fenced, closed park has depressed nearby home values and depressed local visitor revenue; multiple speakers asked the board to remove portions of the fence so the public can use the sand and picnic areas.

Scott said many repairs must follow FEMAโ€™s recovery and procurement rules to preserve eligibility for reimbursement, and that some work (sidewalk repairs, minor pavilion slabs) is the sort of โ€œsmall repairโ€ that county crews or contractors could undertake ahead of larger federally reimbursable projects. He said staff will prepare options and cost estimates showing tradeoffs between advancing local-funded repairs now versus protecting potential FEMA reimbursement, and will return with details at future meetings. The county also told the board it had advanced local funding to clear and make safe some areas so limited public access could be restored sooner rather than later.

Travis Purdue added that displaced amenities (for example, bocce courts and pavilions removed during demolition) have been planned for relocation to a โ€œtriangleโ€ grassy area on the site; staff will show the reconfigured layout during a sales-tax program update scheduled for the board.

Whatโ€™s next: staff will return with concrete options (including limited, phased beach access plans and associated costs and FEMA risk assessments) and present the sales-tax project schedule and design documents at the boardโ€™s upcoming meetings.