Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Traffic Safety topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

After crash into driveway, council orders study of Mallee Drive safety; police say medical event, not DUI, likely

3047112 · April 15, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Following a vehicle that drove into a residence driveway on Mallee Drive, council directed staff to study traffic-calming options; Deputy Chief Randy Darling said the investigation indicates a likely medical event, not alcohol or drugs, and that 85th-percentile speeds in the area are about 28–32 mph.

The Northglenn City Council on April 14 directed staff to bring back a study-session item on traffic-calming options for Mallee Drive between Washington and Irma after repeated incidents in the area, including a vehicle that drove into a home's garage area last week.

Councilmembers said residents and elected officials have reported multiple crashes in the same location, and asked staff to prioritize potential no-speed tools for that segment. City Manager Geyer proposed a study-session item; council gave consensus to schedule the discussion.

Deputy Chief Randy Darling briefed council on the most recent incident. Darling said initial investigation suggested the crash was a DUI-related event, but subsequent development showed the driver experienced a medical episode. “While in police custody, the individual driver had a medical incident ... it does not appear to be alcohol related or drug related as far as a DUI is concerned,” Darling said.

Darling also presented automated speed data for segments in the area. He reported that the 85th-percentile speeds in one-block segments were generally 28 mph or lower, with a few segments rising to about 30–32 mph; he said the incident did not appear to be speed-related and that the vehicle missed a residential perimeter barrier and entered the garage portion of the residence. The occupant area of the home was not occupied at the time and there were no injuries reported.

Council asked staff to retrieve additional data from the city's safety-sensitive zone monitoring and to present recommended traffic-calming measures and possible engineering solutions at a future study session. Deputy Chief Darling and Public Works staff will be included in the follow-up report.