Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Drc Violence And Health topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

U.N. reports killings, hospital looting and measles surge in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo

3028040 · April 17, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The U.N. briefing said armed groups killed civilians in North Kivu, Kibua General Hospital was looted disrupting care for about 30,000 people, and Tanganyika province reported a spike in measles with 900 cases and 21 deaths so far this year.

The U.N. noon briefing relayed reports of continuing violence in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo. In North Kivu, armed groups reportedly killed at least nine civilians in attacks on several villages in Beni territory between April 10 and April 14, the spokesperson said.

Local health authorities provided medical supplies on Monday to Kibua General Hospital in Walikale territory after the hospital had been looted in early April, disrupting access to health care for nearly 30,000 people, the briefing said.

In Mahagi territory, people displaced by April 12 attacks urgently need food, shelter and medical care. Health officials in Tanganyika province warned of a surge in measles among children: so far this year they have reported about 900 cases and 21 deaths; officials believe the true toll could be higher. The U.N. and partners have helped deploy a rapid response team and supported outreach and awareness efforts.