Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Outdoor Dining Parklets topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Laguna Beach planning commission approves temporary parklet for OtoSushi on Mermaid Street

3033971 · April 17, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Planning Commission unanimously approved a temporary use permit and coastal development permit to allow a two-space outdoor dining parklet adjacent to 370 Glenarity Street for OtoSushi, with conditions limiting additions and no heaters allowed; staff noted the parklet program is scheduled to sunset Jan. 1, 2026.

The Laguna Beach Planning Commission on April 16 unanimously approved a temporary use permit (TUP 25-0650) and a coastal development permit (CDP 25-0652) to allow an outdoor dining parklet occupying two public right-of-way parking spaces on Mermaid Street adjacent to 370 Glenarity Street for OtoSushi.

Louis Lacasa of the Community Development Department told the commission the parklet would match existing designs in town, occupy two parking spaces, include tables, chairs and umbrellas, and would not include heaters. Staff recommended the permits and found the project exempt from CEQA under municipal CEQA implementing sections 15.304 (Class 4: minor alterations to land) and, alternatively, 15.301 (Class 1: existing facilities). Lacasa also told the commission the parklet program is scheduled to sunset on Jan. 1, 2026.

The item drew questions from commissioners about traffic, previous experience at the site and the scope of what the parklet may include. Staff said it had received a single letter of opposition raising traffic concerns and that there had been a parklet at the location previously when the former tenant operated there. Staff noted there had been no available Public Works records indicating crashes attributable to the earlier parklet.

Commissioners asked about lighting, potential additions such as trellises or string-light supports, and whether parklets remain with a property when tenants change. Louis Lacasa and additional staff explained the city treats parklets as running with the property; the property owner or a new tenant must opt in and pay the right-of-way fee to retain the installation. Staff emphasized that the permit approval is limited to the elements shown on the site plan and that any additions (for example, substantial freestanding planters, trellises or canopies) would require returning to the Planning Commission.

Applicant Ashley Sentis, who identified herself as the owner of OtoSushi, said she did not plan decorative structures or heaters and that, if lighting were used, it would be battery- or solar-powered to avoid cords across the sidewalk. “We weren’t planning on doing anything, just having it simple — tables and chairs,” she said.

No members of the public spoke on the item. Commissioners said they could make the required findings and, after discussion, moved to adopt the resolution approving the TUP and CDP and finding the action exempt from CEQA. The motion passed unanimously.

The approval includes the temporary-use and coastal-development permit numbers (TUP 25-0650; CDP 25-0652). Staff reminded the commission applicants are charged a market-rate fee for use of city right of way and that approval is discretionary, not guaranteed. The parklet program’s scheduled sunset on Jan. 1, 2026 remains in effect.

Appeals: The commission noted the standard 14-day appeal period to City Council applies to this decision.