Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Transportation Mbta topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Quincy mayor says MBTA investments restoring service; new electric bus yard and dedicated ferry planned

2993299 · April 15, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Mayor Koch told the City Council the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority is seeing sustained improvements, including rebuilt stations, a new electric bus facility slated for 2027, and a dedicated ferry to serve Quincy seasonally and on weekends.

Mayor Koch told the Quincy City Council that recent capital investments and management changes at the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority have begun to restore reliable service and support several projects that will affect Quincy commuters and development.

Koch said the MBTA has eliminated slow zones, increased reliability and ridership is returning. “It’s going in the right direction,” he said, crediting recent capital work, a new general manager and state funding for the turnaround.

The mayor told the council that roughly 40 new Red Line cars have been delivered so far and that new cars are arriving at about two per month; he said he expects the fleet replacement to be phased in around 2027. He also described a major bus-yard project on Bergen Parkway that will house roughly 90 buses (with space for 120) and will use all-electric vehicles; the MBTA estimates early 2027 for that facility’s opening. Koch described that bus-yard project as a roughly $300 million investment.

Koch said other recent capital work includes the $60 million rebuilds at Wollaston and Quincy Adams stations, work on Quincy Center Station and removal of an old, condemned garage at Quincy Center to make way for a transit-oriented redevelopment. He said the MBTA has also purchased two ferry boats from New York, one of which will be dedicated to Quincy service and provide more dependable weekend runs from Memorial Day through Columbus Day.

The mayor reiterated that the MBTA faced a roughly $700 million operating shortfall earlier in the budget cycle but said he expects state action to close the gap and maintain the capital program. He also praised the MBTA’s general manager, saying the appointment brought credibility and a more candid public account of needed work and timelines.

Councilors at the meeting praised the update and asked about safety and staffing. Koch said the transit police force has been replenished after recent vacancies and that transit police work closely with Quincy Police. He also said the MBTA is building a new operations control center in Quincy and that changes to bus routing and platforms at Bergen Parkway aim to reduce congestion around Hancock Street and Russell Park.

Councilors asked about a possible return of ferry service to the former shipyard area; Koch replied that the MBTA no longer owns a wharf there and that structural and ownership issues at that site mean there are no immediate plans to return ferry service to the shipyard. He said Marina Bay’s pier and parking capacity make it a practical site for the growing ferry service.

Koch said the MBTA has made progress filling critical positions, including drivers and transit police officers, and that those staffing improvements have helped service reliability. He said the MBTA is also pursuing restructuring of bus routes and continuing to advance upgrades at Quincy Center that will reroute buses to Bergen Parkway and reduce Hancock Street congestion.

Quincy councilors said the projects would improve commuter experience and the city’s gateway to downtown Quincy, and several praised Koch’s work representing Quincy on MBTA advisory bodies and boards.

Koch invited follow-up questions and said he would return with more details as projects proceed.