Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Dangerous Buildings topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
San Antonio board orders demolition of 2018 La Mar after hazardous-conditions inspections
Summary
The Board of Construction Standards voted unanimously to declare 2018 La Mar a public nuisance and ordered demolition within 30 days after inspectors documented severe structural damage, repeated unauthorized occupancy and unpaid city abatement costs.
Get email alerts on the Dangerous Buildings topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Board of Construction Standards voted unanimously Thursday to declare the single-family property at 2018 La Mar a public nuisance and ordered the demolition of the main structure and an auxiliary building within 30 days.
Cristi Garza, a dangerous-premises officer with the city’s Development Services Department, told the board the structure was inspected on Oct. 11, 2024, and the building showed “fascia separated from the main structure,” exposed wood sheathing, broken windows, water-damaged roofing and interior mold and rot. Garza said there was evidence the house had been occupied by multiple people without electricity.
The board’s motion followed Garza’s presentation and photographs the city submitted showing front, side and rear elevations, damaged foundations, torn roofing and interior collapse. Garza said city crews last secured and cleaned the property in November 2024 and that the city incurred $2,224 for that work. She also said the auxiliary structure was built without permits.
Neighborhood officers and responding police also described repeated incursions by people living on the property. María Morales, a district officer, said the city repeatedly re-secured the property and removed occupants, and that her unit had received roughly 32 calls about similar problems since the last formal evaluation.
After discussion the board moved to find the property in violation of the City Code (Chapter 6, as cited by staff) and to order demolition within 30 days, with utilities to remain disconnected and the property kept secured and free of debris in the interim. The motion was seconded and passed 8–0.
The board’s order notes the property did not meet the city’s criteria for historic designation and that no scope-of-work, financial statements or repair permits had been submitted by the owner. Garza reported staff had attempted notification by mail and posted notice on the property as part of the administrative process.
The board’s action is an enforcement step under local code intended to address imminent threats to health and safety; the record shows no reparative proposals were submitted before the hearing. The city will follow its standard abatement and demolition procedures if the owner does not comply within the 30-day window.
