Board orders demolition of 514 Alta Seta Street after family asks for time to repair

2947961 · April 10, 2025

Get AI-powered insights, summaries, and transcripts

Subscribe
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

After family members and police described drug‑related activity and repeated disturbance calls at 514 Alta Seta Street, the Building Standards Board ordered demolition within 30 days and directed the property remain vacated, utilities off and secured; family requested more time and said they intend to pursue ownership and repairs.

The Building Standards Board voted 8-0 April 10 to declare the property at 514 Alta Seta Street a public nuisance and ordered demolition of the primary and accessory structures within 30 days, while directing that the property remain vacated, utilities remain disconnected and the site secured.

Dangerous‑premises officer Crystal Towne told the board the DART inspection on Sept. 10, 2024, found multiple individuals staying at the property, additions built without permits, a cedar post‑and‑beam foundation with rotted posts, and interior damage including uneven floors, water damage and missing or damaged plumbing and fixtures. Towne said San Antonio Water Systems had disconnected water and CPS Energy confirmed no electricity, and staff had previously posted a vacate notice for lack of utilities. Towne recommended demolition under city code article 8, chapter 6.

City police and enforcement staff described repeated calls for service and arrests at the address. Officer Anthony Pena of the West SAFE unit told the board there had been more than 50 calls for service over two years that included disturbances, weapons incidents, narcotics activity and arrests; he said officers observed people leaving the home during surveillance and that narcotics and stolen property had been tied to individuals coming from the site.

Several family members spoke and asked for time to take control of and repair the house. Mary (family member) told the board, "we would like to plead and appreciate if we would get more time to be able to bring the house up to standard, to codes, fix it, make it livable, make it nice again." Her brother Robert Guzman, who identified himself as able to lead repairs, told the board he estimated a contractor'led rebuild could cost roughly $20,000 and said he could bring crews from the Dallas–Fort Worth area to do most of the work.

Board members pressed staff and the family on ownership and permitting. Towne said no scope of work, proof of finances, letters of credit, engineers' reports or building permits had been provided to the city as of the hearing. Legal staff and board members noted that title and probate issues complicated any plan to pull permits or start permitted work: council advised that a party must have legal title to obtain most permits.

Board member motioned to find the property a public nuisance under city code and to order demolition within 30 days; the motion included vacate, utilities to remain off and continued securing of the property. A friendly amendment to include that the property remain vacated was accepted. The motion passed 8-0. The board clerk advised the family of the right to appeal in civil district court within 30 days of the order mailing.

Less critical details: staff reported earlier abatement and lock removal actions and that the Office of Historic Preservation determined the property was not eligible for historic designation. The board also heard specifics about unpermitted additions, removed plumbing fixtures and structural rot in foundations and framing.