Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Health Funding Cuts 2025 topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Minnesota health officials warn of layoffs after $220 million in federal cuts; urge state backfill

2923868 · April 9, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

At the April 9 Senate HHS hearing, Minnesota Department of Health officials and epidemiologists described a sudden loss of more than $220 million in federal grant funding, immediate layoffs and curtailed public‑health activities and urged the committee to add one‑time state funding to stabilize services.

Minnesota Department of Health leaders told the Senate Health and Human Services Committee on April 9 that a federal funding cut of more than $220,000,000 has destabilized the agency and forced staff reductions that will impair disease surveillance and outbreak response.

“the recent cut of more than $220,000,000 in previously approved federal funding has been destabilizing to the agency and to the system of government of public health in Minnesota,” Commissioner Brooke Cunningham said, describing layoffs and program reductions tied to the end of pandemic‑era federal grants.

Commissioner Cunningham said the federal funds had supported laboratory surveillance, workforce capacity, electronic data exchange, wastewater surveillance and coordinated outbreak investigation and response. She told the committee that the omnibus includes state investments that will help but called the proposed state funding a partial response to a much larger federal shortfall.

Public‑health staff on the front lines described immediate operational effects. Paige Dehealy, a respiratory‑virus epidemiologist at MDH and member of the Minnesota Association of Professional Employees, said: “Last week, my team was decimated by immediate layoffs and more are coming in just a few weeks.” She warned that outbreak response, long‑term care support, wastewater monitoring and other surveillance activities will slow or stop without state mitigation.

Why it matters: State public‑health capacity — laboratories, epidemiology, data exchange and local health department partnerships — depends on a mix of federal grants and state backing. Witnesses told the committee that abrupt federal grant terminations leave the state to decide whether to backfill those functions or accept gaps in surveillance and response.

Specific impacts described to the committee

- Laboratory and surveillance: MDH staff said staffing cuts reduce analytic capacity at the public health laboratory and impair the agency’s ability to detect and investigate infectious diseases including measles and novel influenza strains.

- Wastewater monitoring: Officials said plans to expand wastewater disease monitoring will be halted.

- Local health partners: Cuts at MDH will reduce technical assistance and response support for county and local public health jurisdictions.

Requests to the committee

Commissioner Cunningham and MDH staff urged the committee to consider one‑time or transitional state funding to backfill lost federal grant dollars while agencies plan permanent solutions. Epidemiologists said they need time and money to preserve critical functions rather than react to abrupt personnel losses.

Ending note

MDH leaders and staff made public pleas for budget relief in the omnibus process, framing the funding gap as an immediate operational risk to Minnesota’s disease detection and response system.