Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Telecommunications topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents near Barranca and Cameron urge planning commission to reject proposed faux-tree cell tower
Summary
More than 150 residents signed a petition opposing a proposed 60-foot faux-tree cell site at Barranca and Cameron, saying it is too close to schools and will reduce property values; the proposal is scheduled for the Planning Commission on April 22.
Get email alerts on the Telecommunications topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Neighbors of a proposed cell facility at the corner of Barranca Street and Cameron Avenue told the West Covina City Council on April 15 that they oppose a planned 60-foot faux-tree monopine that would be sited near area schools and residential properties.
Resident Sheena Heng said more than 150 people had signed a petition against the tower and voiced health and property-value concerns. She told the council the tower would be "beam[ing] microwave radiation" at nearby schools during the day and said it would decrease property values. Heng urged neighbors to attend the Planning Commission meeting scheduled for April 22 and named independent researchers she urged residents to consult.
Resident John Solis, who also lives in the Shadow community, said the city previously had resisted proposed towers near a fire station and that federal law limits local authority to deny facilities on the basis of perceived health risks. Solis cited a 1996 federal law he said prevents cities from rejecting installations based on claims of physical harm, noting that aesthetic grounds remain the primary lawful basis for local rejection.
City staff told the council that the proposed site was not a city agenda item for April 15 and that the matter would proceed to the Planning Commission before any council consideration.
What residents said
- Petition: Sheena Heng said the group had collected over 150 signatures opposing the proposed structure at Barranca and Cameron. - Schools: Speakers said the site would be near Nogales High School and other nearby campuses and asked the city to protect students. - Legal limits: John Solis noted federal law restricts local decisions based on health concerns and that aesthetics are the primary lawful basis for denial.
No formal action on the proposal was taken by the council; the Planning Commission will consider the proposal on April 22.

