Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Kelly Court Improvements topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Commission recommends council proceed with Kelly Court improvements; says pickleball rules and neighborhood concerns must be revisited
Summary
After hours of public comment and technical review, commissioners recommended the City Council move forward with CIP 6-19 to repair and reconfigure Kelly Courts, restore four courts, and pursue ADA and safety upgrades; commissioners also directed staff to restart stakeholder discussions about hours, equipment and noise mitigation.
Get email alerts on the Kelly Court Improvements topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Parks, Recreation and Community Resources Advisory Commission on April 1 reviewed the proposed Kelly Court improvements (CIP 6‑19) and unanimously recommended that City Council proceed with the project as presented, while urging renewed stakeholder engagement on hours of use, noise mitigation and equipment standards.
The commission’s 5‑0 recommendation follows years of engagement: two of the four pickleball courts were closed in 2020 after safety concerns, a stakeholder group and subsequent policies limited court hours, and the Parks Master Plan (adopted Nov. 12, 2024) identified growing demand for pickleball alongside neighborhood noise concerns. Staff told the commission the recommended construction contract had been rejected by council after bids were opened; council directed staff to bring the project back for further review.
Public comment at the hearing was sharply divided. Tracy Tozier, a nearby resident, told commissioners: “I hear every pop. That is approximately 900 impulsive pops per hour of play per court,” and urged moving courts away from homes. Several pickleball players and organizers said the two closed courts have left players without reasonable access. Club representative Geraldine (last name on file) said: “I used to play here every day … I’m happy to hear that you could go back to 4 courts.” Another public commenter, Scott Hayes, told the commission: “I strongly encourage the commission to recommend to council that CIP 6‑19 proceed exactly as it is.”
Public Works Director Joe San Clemente and Community Resources Director Lisa Nichols walked commissioners through the design and condition assessments. San Clemente highlighted cracked surfacing, bowed and rusted fencing, non‑compliant accessible routes and other deferred maintenance; he said the bid tied to a recommended contract award was approximately $797,766 and the city would need to re‑advertise for construction now that council rejected the bids.
Staff emphasized that updating the facility will require meeting current ADA and dimensional standards whenever significant facility changes are made. San Clemente said design work included modest dimensional gains (measured in inches) to meet offsets required by governing court design guidance, and that a registered landscape architect stamped the plans. The city also plans fencing adjustments and a new gate to reduce unauthorized after‑hours access.
Commissioners and residents pressed a range of questions: whether acoustic windscreen materials would reduce noise (the commission heard staff and a former subcommittee member say acoustic screens had proved insufficient in other cities and could increase heat on the courts), whether padding should be added to walls, how the city would enforce hours and curb fence‑jumping, and whether the city could require quieter balls or paddles. Commissioner Ellman noted a new, higher‑cost pickleball ball available commercially and suggested a demonstration trial.
After prolonged deliberation, commissioners voted 5‑0 to recommend council proceed with CIP 6‑19 as advertised. Commissioners also requested staff re‑engage the stakeholder group to revisit court hours, open‑play options, equipment standards and enforcement — and to return to the commission with an implementation plan for programming once construction timing is firm. Staff estimated construction could take roughly two to three months and that, if re‑advertised promptly, construction might begin in late 2025.
Sources: staff presentation (CIP 6‑19), Public Works Director Joe San Clemente, Community Resources Director Lisa Nichols, public commenters and commission deliberations.

