Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Infrastructure Planning topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

East End advocates urge council to block Polk Street abandonment tied to GRB expansion

2842276 · April 1, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Community members and advocates asked council to deny Houston First’s proposed Polk Street abandonment related to a George R. Brown Convention Center expansion, citing mobility, emergency access and transparency concerns.

Residents and community advocates urged Houston City Council on April 1 to reject or substantially rework a proposal to abandon Polk Street as part of a south expansion of the George R. Brown (GRB) Convention Center. Speakers said closing Polk would sever an important east–west connection and asked for alternative designs and fuller community engagement.

Polk Street users, East End residents and local stakeholders told council the street is a vital access corridor between the East Side and downtown. Multiple speakers said TxDOT previously proposed a mitigation (a u-turn bridge) for a TxDOT freeway design that would have interrupted Polk’s direct connection; however, speakers and documents presented at the meeting said the Houston First proposal would close additional segments and create longer detours.

Local resident and community leader Dominic Masak and other speakers argued the proposed abandonment would remove lanes that many commuters rely on and would increase travel time for emergency responders. “Polk Street is one of the main arteries connecting the communities on the East Side to downtown,” said Cynthia Singleton, an East End resident. Several participants noted they were told the project timeline and the scope of closures late in the process and asked for more transparent traffic and safety analysis before any approval.

Speakers asked that Houston First pursue parallel applications: one to allow the convention-center expansion work that does not close Polk, and a second, separately studied application if Polk closure is truly required. Multiple speakers asked the council to require rigorous traffic and emergency-response modeling, and to consult neighborhood stakeholders and public schools before voting on abandonment.

Council members asked staff for clarity about TxDOT’s earlier proposals and said they wanted the administration to provide detailed traffic modeling, emergency-response analysis and a public-notice timeline. No abandonment vote was taken during the session.

Ending

Speakers asked the council to deny the current abandonment application or to require Houston First to return with a design that preserves Polk Street access or provides a clearly studied and minimally disruptive alternative.