Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Community Development Annual Action Plan topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Leavenworth advisory board approves 2025–26 annual action plan and restores agency funding after shelter presentation

2987471 · April 14, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Leavenworth City Community Development Advisory Board voted to present the 2025–26 Annual Action Plan to the city commission and approved agency funding allocations after a presentation from the Alliance Against Family Violence; a public commenter urged action on Social Security access for seniors.

The Leavenworth City Community Development Advisory Board on April 14 voted to present the 2025–26 Annual Action Plan to the City Commission and approved earlier funding allocations to community agencies after a presentation from the Alliance Against Family Violence.

The vote to present the plan to the commission on April 22 followed public testimony and an agency presentation that the board said informed its funding decision. The plan sets program-level allocations — administration 20%, public service agencies capped at 15%, home repair 27%, home ownership 15% and demolition and infrastructure 23% — consistent with the regulatory guidance cited by staff.

Elena Crenshaw, executive director of the Alliance Against Family Violence, told the board her shelter “in the last year, we've serviced 174 individuals, which we've in that, we've provided 2,937 safe bed nights. Those individuals were provided assistance with 4,012 services,” including a 24-hour hotline and court advocacy. Crenshaw said the shelter has resumed or expanded services such as weekly mental-health visits, anger-management groups and school outreach.

During the public hearing that preceded the board’s vote, Harold Peterson, who identified himself as a combat veteran and senior citizen, described problems Leavenworth-area seniors have experienced obtaining Social Security services after local offices reduced operations. “My year of birth was changed from 1958 to 1758. I lost for 3 weeks my Social Security until I had to go and basically get the mess straightened out,” Peterson said, urging the board and city to consider transportation or outreach for seniors who cannot travel to distant offices.

Board members acknowledged the comment and staff advised Peterson to bring the concern to the city commission, which can act more quickly, and noted that the annual action plan process is the board’s primary venue for distributing HUD-funded community development resources. A staff member said the board is in the fourth year of a five-year plan and that public transportation had not been added to the plan to date; staff recommended Peterson bring the item to the commission for potential action.

On the funding allocations, the board voted to proceed with the option it had previously approved — a pro rata adjustment that reduces each agency award by roughly the same amount if necessary — and to include the Alliance Against Family Violence among funded agencies after the organization appeared at the meeting. A board member explained any additional funds will be prorated across agencies and that the action taken sends the plan to the commission for approval and submission to HUD.

Staff reported the city is working to address HUD timeliness requirements and preparing projections to submit by April 24 to preserve funding. Staff also described progress on sidewalk infrastructure and continued use of the home repair program, which they said is the most active program for residents.

The board’s motions were carried by voice vote. The minutes for the March 10 meeting were approved earlier in the session, the public hearing was opened and closed as part of the agenda, and the board adjourned after approving the actions and scheduling next steps for presentation to the commission.

The board recommended that residents with concerns about federal benefit access or transportation raise those issues at the city commission meeting on April 22, which includes a public comment period.