Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Housing Condemnation topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Revere Board of Health orders partial condemnation of units at 70 Highland Street

2801162 · March 27, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Revere Board of Health voted 3-0 to condemn four illegally created units at 70 Highland Street after inspections found code violations including inadequate egress, unpermitted units and fire hazards; tenants in the illegal units have been relocated and owners agreed to remediation plans.

The Revere Board of Health voted unanimously March 20 to issue a partial condemnation order for four illegally created dwelling units at 70 Highland Street, citing violations of building, fire and health codes that endanger occupants.

Outside counsel for the city, Attorney Anthony Bronco, told the board that inspections by the city’s safe housing team found illegal units in the basement and third floor and multiple fire and egress violations, and read the applicable condemnation regulation to justify the order.

Bronco said the city’s inspections found two illegal basement units with insufficient egress and no fire protection, two small third-floor units with locks on doors and other unsafe conditions, low ceilings in some rooms and an untested steel fire escape. “When you find violations like this in a property, they shall always be deemed conditions which may endanger or materially impair the health or safety and well-being of a person or persons occupying the premises,” Bronco read, citing the condemnation provision the city relied on.

Health agent and director of inspection services Michael Wells told the board the property owner and family representatives were cooperative during inspections and tenant relocation. “The property owner was very cooperative. And the family representative was very cooperative with us as well, which is appreciated and it goes a long way in making this property safe,” Wells said.

Bronco told the board that all tenants had been removed from the identified illegal units, that the owners had begun pulling permits, and that the city would convene a remediation planning meeting with building, fire, health and the owners to set remediation steps and timelines. The proposed order submitted to the board specifically named Units 1 and 2 (basement) and Units 6 and 8 (third floor) for condemnation rather than condemning the entire building.

Board members said they supported the action while noting the owners’ apparent cooperation and plans to bring the building into compliance. Chair Dr. Drew Bunker, Kathleen Savage and Viviana Quintano voted in favor; the board recorded three yes votes and the order was signed for service.

The board and city counsel said the condemnation serves to prevent future occupancy of the illegal units, allow the city to secure them against squatting, and place legal obligations on the owner to correct violations. Bronco indicated the city will schedule the remediation roundtable and follow-up inspections once plans and permits are submitted.

Those present representing the property said they had found alternate housing for displaced tenants, paid moving costs and rent for relocations, and engaged contractors and engineers to prepare plans and certificates of condition. Manuel Miatrigal, who identified himself as a general contractor and the owners’ nephew, said the owners intend to return the building to a four-unit configuration and will manage the remediation process.

The board did not specify exact deadlines in the meeting minutes; Bronco said a remediation plan meeting would be scheduled next week to set permit and inspection timelines. The condemnation order and proposed finding were signed and will be served by the city.