Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Gaza Humanitarian Crisis topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

UN says renewed fighting in Gaza worsens humanitarian crisis; calls for ceasefire and investigates strike on UN facilities

2714362 · March 20, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

At a UN press briefing, senior UN officials described a deteriorating humanitarian situation in Gaza, renewed calls for a ceasefire, the confirmed deaths of UN staff in recent strikes, and an investigation into an explosion that hit UN guest houses.

At a United Nations press briefing, UN officials warned that renewed hostilities in Gaza have deepened an already dire humanitarian crisis, called for an immediate renewal of the ceasefire and the unconditional release of hostages, and said they are investigating an explosion that struck UN guest houses.

Assistant Secretary-General Khalid Kyari briefed the Security Council and told reporters, "The hostages must be released immediately and unconditionally," and urged a renewed ceasefire as the best way to protect civilians, release detainees and allow humanitarian and commercial supplies into the strip.

The UN Office for Project Services (UNOPS) confirmed the death of Marine Valev Marinov, 51, of Bulgaria, after two UN guest houses were hit by an explosion in Deir al-Balah, central Gaza; five additional UN colleagues were wounded and remain hospitalized. Spokespeople said three of the injured worked with the UN Mine Action Service and two supported the "27/20 mechanism for Gaza" (as referenced in the briefing). The UN said it has launched an investigation into the incident and "expects full support from the Israeli authorities."

Philippe Lazzarini, Commissioner-General of the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA), was cited as saying that five additional UNRWA staff were confirmed killed in recent days, bringing the agency's reported staff death toll to 284; those killed included teachers, doctors and nurses serving vulnerable populations.

UN humanitarian partners reported mass displacement across the strip and severe limits on lifesaving supplies. Tom Fletcher, the Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs (cited in the briefing), warned that for nearly three weeks Gaza had been largely sealed off to food, medicine, fuel and cooking gas and that gains made during the ceasefire had been reversed. The briefing noted that more than 68,000 people had fled since evacuation orders were issued the previous Tuesday and that new evacuation orders had been issued in areas of Khan Younis.

Health partners told the UN that hospitals were under extreme strain; 13 hospitals had treated hundreds of trauma patients since Tuesday, blood supplies were running low and bakeries faced closure unless supplies resumed. The UN Population Fund activated urgent delivery services for 14 primary care centers and medical points for pregnant mothers. Water trucking continued where possible; multiple water facilities have been affected by evacuation orders and water production remains well below pre-October 2023 levels.

UN officials reiterated calls for unimpeded humanitarian access to all areas of Gaza, protection of civilians under international humanitarian law, and the immediate and unconditional release of hostages. The briefing repeatedly framed a renewed ceasefire as the most immediate step to reduce civilian suffering and to permit scaled humanitarian assistance.

Ending note: UN spokespeople said the organization will continue to press for investigations into attacks on UN premises and for parties to facilitate safe, timely and sustained access for life-saving humanitarian assistance.