Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Hospital Transfer Rmc topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Santa Clara Valley Health reports near-complete staff onboarding and readies Regional Medical Center for April 1 transfer
Summary
County health system leaders told the Health & Hospital Committee they expect to launch core services at Regional Medical Center on April 1 after nearly all staff accepted offers; licensing and equipment inventory remain active items before the takeover.
Get email alerts on the Hospital Transfer Rmc topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Santa Clara Valley Health System officials told the county Health & Hospital Committee on March 19 that preparations for the April 1 transfer of Regional Medical Center (RMC) are on track, with nearly all staff accepting county job offers and several operational checks still pending.
Paul Lorenz, chief executive officer of Santa Clara Valley Health, said roughly 1,055 job offers were extended to RMC employees and acceptance sits at about 98–99 percent, with about 14 employees declining. He told the committee the system’s onboarding satisfaction survey shows roughly 91 percent positive responses.
The county expects the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) to conduct a licensing survey for change of ownership in the days leading up to April 1, Lorenz said. He also reported that the county’s local EMS agency completed a review and identified follow-up items the health system must address before services such as STEMI and stroke care begin under the county system.
Committee members and staff flagged equipment inventory and condition as a critical issue. Lorenz said teams are documenting missing or nonfunctional items and preparing a written report; County Executive James Williams noted the asset purchase agreement requires the seller to maintain hospital equipment in working order and the county expects to pursue claims if significant gaps are discovered.
Lorenz also described outreach steps: a series of community meetings beginning the week of the meeting, and a media campaign to inform residents about what will change on and after April 1. He said Health Link — the county’s electronic system — will go live on day one for the RMC campus.
Supervisor remarks and board discussion emphasized timing and contingencies. Committee members asked whether the county has contingency plans if the CDPH licensing survey or EMS provisional designations are delayed; Lorenz said the health system believes it can respond to outstanding items this week but ultimate designations are made by the licensing and EMS agencies.
The committee received the report by motion and recorded unanimous approval.
Why it matters: The county takeover restores local control of a hospital that was previously reducing services; staff retention and equipment readiness will determine whether trauma, STEMI and other acute services can resume as planned on April 1.
What’s next: County staff will provide follow-ups on CDPH survey results, EMS provisional designations, and a written inventory status report. Community outreach events scheduled at the VASQ site will continue this month.

