Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Adult Entertainment Policy topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Monroe council delays defining "adult entertainment," adds closed‑session legal review after contentious public comment
Summary
Monroe City Council voted to table an agenda item on defining adult establishments and adult entertainment to its April meeting and added a closed session to consult attorneys on the topic after an extended public comment period that featured sharply divided views on drag performances and protecting children.
Get email alerts on the Adult Entertainment Policy topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Monroe City Council on Tuesday voted to table an agenda item to define “adult establishments” and “adult entertainment” until its April regular meeting and agreed to add a closed session with city attorneys to seek legal advice on how to proceed.
Council action came after months of public debate and more than two hours of public comment Tuesday that split local residents, business owners and advocacy groups over whether drag performances should be treated as adult entertainment and whether children should be allowed to attend such events.
Proponents of protecting children urged the council to adopt a formal definition that would prohibit minors from attending drag performances. “It is not homophobic to want to protect children,” said Michelle Ball, a Monroe resident who told council she had presented a resolution to the Union County Republican Party. Several other speakers, including Jessica Mullen of the watchdog group Protect North Carolina Kids, asked the council to “define drag as adult entertainment” and to prohibit minors from attending.
Supporters of drag performances and downtown businesses pushed back. Logan McGinnis, who identified himself as a Monroe resident and longtime organizer of downtown events, said “Drag is not adult entertainment. It's a performance art” and argued drag shows held in Monroe were not sexually explicit and had previously been limited to adults when requested. Owner representatives for East Frank Supper Kitchen said the business had paused all‑ages events and described their performances as protected expressive activity; Steven Stegall read remarks on behalf of the venue’s owner, who characterized the push to ban performances as a targeted campaign against the business.
Council members debated both process and transparency. One council member urged against postponing decisions because the city had previously delayed other policy items amid public pressure; another defended the decision to seek lawyers’ input in closed session, saying the council needed additional information to make an informed, lawful policy.
Councilmember action: a motion to table discussion on defining adult establishments and adult entertainment to the April 8, 2025 council meeting without further advertising was moved and seconded and put to a voice/hand vote; the motion was carried. Separately, the council voted to add a closed session pursuant to North Carolina General Statute to consult with attorneys regarding adult activities; the closed session was held after the public comment period.
Speakers on both sides repeatedly told the council their positions reflected community values; council members repeatedly stressed the need for legal research and coordination with other agencies before adopting ordinances. The council did not adopt a definition or ordinance at this meeting.
The item remains on the council’s docket for April, with staff and council indicating they will return with legal analysis and possible draft language or recommended next steps following the closed‑session legal consultation.

