Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Festival Funding topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Beaumont council moves to allocate $100,000 to annual charity festival; additional funding to be revisited

2679295 · March 19, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Beaumont City Council members moved to approve $100,000 in city funding for the annual charity festival and directed council liaisons to meet with festival partners and the Parks District before returning additional funding requests to the next meeting.

Beaumont City Council members moved to approve $100,000 in city funding for the city's annual charity festival and directed council liaisons to meet with festival partners and the Parks District before bringing any additional funding requests back at the next meeting.

Festival organizers told the council they are pursuing a formal nonprofit structure and want the event to serve as a year-round community catalyst rather than solely an annual celebration. A representative for the event described proposals for expanded ticket-subsidy programs and said organizers have discussed seeking roughly $150,000 to $200,000 to cover entertainment and resident ticket subsidies.

The organizer said, “we are actually looking to, revision and rebrand ourselves as a nonprofit organization that gears itself on not only a community wide event annually, but also year round,” and described possible ticket models such as online discount codes for Beaumont residents, a $5 Thursday night option and a $10 admission for additional days, with an at-the-door price proposal of about $15 compared with $18 last year.

Council members raised questions about which uses of city funds would meet the public-benefit standard. The city attorney said staff had not received enough information to determine whether certain proposed expenditures—cited in the meeting as a $65,000 scholarship line—would qualify as a public purpose. “I don't have enough information to really answer that,” the city attorney said, adding that the council needs substantial evidence that a proposed expenditure serves a public benefit to justify using public funds.

In discussion, one council member said the $100,000 already in the budget could be committed now to provide organizers with a working budget, while the council and festival organizers work through transparency, allocation and advertising details. A motion was made to approve the $100,000 budgeted amount now and for council liaisons (including the council liaison to the Parks District) to meet with the three agencies involved and return to the council with recommendations at the next meeting. The motion was seconded. A council member said they would not support the motion at the time of the vote but reiterated a personal commitment to the previously budgeted $100,000 pending further information.

Council members suggested using the city's public information office and billboard advertising to raise revenue and recommended focused conversations on both immediate needs for this year's festival and a longer-term plan for future festivals. Staff named in the discussion included an Elizabeth who staffers were asked to contact for follow-up questions by email.

Next steps recorded in the meeting: the council directed liaisons to meet with festival organizers and the Parks District between meetings; the item will be brought back to the council on April 1 for additional discussion and any further appropriation requests. The transcript does not record a completed roll-call vote or final tally for the motion.