Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Safety Housing topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents press Goldsboro council on housing conditions and police investigations; callers seek transparency and action

2665892 · March 18, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Public commentators raised complaints about unsafe rental housing and current police investigations into use‑of‑force incidents. Speakers urged the council to demand updates and a clearer response from police leadership.

During the public comment period, several residents and community leaders urged the Goldsboro City Council to act on two recurring concerns: substandard housing through the local housing authority and transparency on police investigations into alleged use‑of‑force incidents.

Resident Natalia Newkirk described multiple housing units in Little Washington and Lincoln Homes she said had mold, collapsing ceilings and pest infestations. "Enough is enough," she said, detailing past evictions and health impacts for her children and asking the council when the housing authority would be held to account.

Community activist Rodney Robinson appealed for respect for elected officials while urging unity: "We need to respect the leaders of this city and allow them to make the decisions that they need to make," he said, while also emphasizing accountability.

Linda Wilkins Daniels, founder of the nonprofit Speaking for the Speechless, called for updates on the January 28 police incident she has raised previously. She told council the victim's mother remains unsure of the investigation status and said she will return with "solutions and strategies" but demanded that the community be informed when investigations conclude.

Richard Taylor urged immediate advocacy on the case of Talik Carter (an incident he referenced from January 23) and criticized what he described as insufficient public action. "Now is not the time to be silent," Taylor said, adding "You could be advocating for justice for the man in Livingston's office, in police chief's office." He framed the issue as a matter of leadership responsibility and accountability.

Separately, Nathaniel Dupree of the Wayne County Reentry Council thanked council for the Second Chance Month proclamation and reported the reentry program had reached 300 intakes, noting referrals and program information are available through Wayne Community College.

Council members did not take immediate policy votes on the policing complaints during the public comment period. The council had earlier recessed to a closed session to discuss a personnel matter; no investigative or disciplinary outcomes were announced publicly at the meeting's end.

Speakers said they planned to return for future council meetings and to press for further updates and action.