Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Humanitarian Updates topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

U.N. reports displacement and damage in Lebanon, warns of funding shortfalls in Chad and releases $6 million for Nigeria malnutrition response

3728447 · June 9, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

U.N. officials reported thousands displaced and extensive damage in parts of Lebanon after strikes; said Chad’s 2025 humanitarian response plan is funded at 9.3%; and said the Central Emergency Response Fund released $6 million to address a severe acute malnutrition emergency in northeastern Nigeria affecting about 1 million children under age 5.

U.N. humanitarian officials reported damage and displacement in Lebanon, warned that humanitarian funding shortfalls are constraining operations in Central Africa, and said the U.N. released $6 million from the Central Emergency Response Fund to respond to a malnutrition crisis in northeastern Nigeria.

On Lebanon, the U.N. office for the coordination of humanitarian affairs said Israeli air strikes hit Beirut’s southern suburbs and the village of Ainkhana ahead of Eid al‑Adha, displacing thousands after orders to flee. Preliminary official estimates by the Beirut area reconstruction committee indicated extensive damage including to a school for people with disabilities; nine residential buildings were completely destroyed and more than 70 sustained partial damage. About 115 housing units were reported destroyed, reportedly displacing roughly 300 families who have been hosted by relatives. The U.N. noted that hostilities along the Blue Line continue to drive humanitarian needs in southern Lebanon.

The International Organization for Migration reported more than 82,000 people remained displaced across Lebanon, while over 981,000 people had returned to their communities of origin.

On Central Africa, the head of the U.N. office for Central Africa, Yunoka Abdul Abari, told the Security Council by video conference that Chad had concluded a restoration of constitutional order but that budgetary constraints are affecting humanitarian operations. He said the 2025 humanitarian response plan for Chad was funded at only 9.3% compared with 19.5% at the same time last year, and that the funding gap is forcing his office to rethink plans and working methods ahead of several planned elections.

On northeastern Nigeria, Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher said the U.N. released $6 million from the Central Emergency Response Fund to respond to the worst malnutrition crisis in the region in five years. U.N. colleagues warned that about 1,000,000 children under age 5 in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states are at risk of severe acute malnutrition — roughly double last year’s figure and the highest number in at least five years. Fletcher said the new funding will support urgent nutrition and health needs and that a recently launched lean‑season plan seeks $160 million to reach about 2 million people with lifesaving assistance.

Officials did not announce additional large donor pledges during the briefing.