Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Land Use Special Use Food Truck topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Harrisonburg planning commission recommends special-use permit for single food truck at 201 South Avenue
Summary
The Planning Commission voted to forward a recommendation to City Council to allow one food truck at 201 South Avenue with five conditions, including closing an entrance on South High Street and installing a separate electric service for the subject parcel within 60 days (with possible administrative extension).
Get email alerts on the Land Use Special Use Food Truck topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Harrisonburg Planning Commission on June 11 voted unanimously to recommend that City Council approve a special-use permit to allow a single food truck at 201 South Avenue, sending the application to council with conditions.
Staff told commissioners the property is currently zoned M-1 and designated Limited Commercial in the comprehensive plan, and that staff discovered the food truck operating on the site without required approvals earlier this year. Staff recommended approval with five conditions intended to address safety, utilities and site design.
The recommended conditions include limiting the permit to one food truck; permanently closing the entrance onto South High Street and rebuilding curb and gutter within 60 days of council approval; rebuilding the entrance on South Avenue to meet the Design and Construction Standards Manual commercial-entrance width (minimum 30 feet) within 60 days; installing a separate electric meter and service for 201 South Avenue within 60 days; and suspending the food-truck operation if any of those conditions are not met within the deadline. Staff also noted electrical work that had been permitted to the neighboring parcel (1105 South High Street) must be corrected so the subject parcel has its own service.
Belen Martinez, identified as one of the property owners, described the operation as a family business and said, "It is something that someone does, depend on to provide for their family." Commissioners pressed staff and the applicant about the feasibility and cost of completing public-right-of-way and utility work within 60 days; staff said the commission could recommend a longer period and noted the zoning administrator could be given authority to grant a one-time extension if the applicant demonstrates progress or a signed contract with a contractor. Commissioners and the applicant also discussed options short of full reconstruction (temporary closures, posts or removable barriers), but staff and several commissioners emphasized that permanently closing the unsafe South High Street entrance was the primary public-safety objective.
The motion to forward a favorable recommendation to City Council included the staff-proposed conditions and the administrative-extension language. Vice Chair Finnegan made the motion; the commission voted by roll call with all members present voting aye. The Planning Commission record shows the item will go to City Council on July 8.
The staff presentation referenced the City Zoning Ordinance (section 10.3.30.1) and the city's Design and Construction Standards Manual (DCSM) for entrance width; staff also cited the city electric utility requirement that services not cross parcel lines. The applicant was informed that any work in the public right-of-way will require Public Works permits and that the health, fire and other standard food-service approvals remain required independent of the special-use permit timeline.
The commission's recommendation does not itself authorize operation; it forwards the permit and recommended conditions to City Council for final action.
