Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Infrastructure Fiber Optic topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents say contractors ripped up lawns to install fiber; city says contractor had right-of-way permit

5332858 · July 8, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Two Sage Creek residents told the Wylie City Council that crews installing Falcon Utility conduit dug up lawns without showing permits; city staff said the company has a right-of-way permit, that an unpermitted subcontractor received a stop-work order and that repairs will be made.

Two residents of the Sage Creek subdivision told the Wylie City Council on July 8 that crews from a company identified as Falcon Utility excavated front yards and damaged sprinklers and culverts while installing conduit for fiber-optic cable.

"They used a whole bunch of people who didn't speak English," said Chris Thompson, who told the council the crews had dug in his front yard and that neither he nor many neighbors had been notified. "Where's the permit?" Thompson asked, saying he had asked city staff for a copy and was told he would need to file an open-records request.

Elise Thompson, who shares the same address, told the council she wants the company and a corporate representative identified before any crew works on her property. "I need the name of a company and I need the corporate representative before they step foot into my around my property or my easements," she said.

A city staff member responded during public comment that the work in Sage Creek is occurring in the municipal utility right-of-way and that the company "does have a permit in place. They are allowed to do that in the right of way." The staff member said a subcontractor had been found to be working without a permit, was issued a stop-work order and that the company would return to fix mislocated conduit and any damage.

City Manager Brent Parker gave his email and told residents to send questions to him for follow-up; he also said the city does not act as the company's corporate representative and that requests for a corporate representative are a matter between a homeowner and the company.

Why it matters: Residents say damage and lack of notice have left them uncertain about who authorized the work and how to get timely documentation. City staff said the work is authorized in the right-of-way, that the city enforces permitting and has acted to stop and correct unpermitted subcontractor activity.

What happened next: Council did not take formal action on the matter during the meeting; staff said the engineering department holds the permit and that residents may obtain a copy via an open-records request. Staff also said contractors are required to repair any damaged lawns, sprinklers or culverts.

Looking ahead: City staff told residents they would follow up on repairs and that residents may contact the city manager for additional information. Thompson and other speakers warned the council that additional companies may seek to install similar infrastructure in other Wylie neighborhoods.