Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Gaza West Bank Humanitarian topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

UN: Aid deliveries into Gaza expanding but water and services remain far below pre-October levels; West Bank displacements increase

2403801 · February 26, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The UN said partners delivered medical supplies to about 1.8 million people in Gaza and distributed large quantities of shelter items since the ceasefire, but total water production remains roughly one-third of pre-October levels. The UN also flagged rising casualties and displacement in the West Bank.

A United Nations spokesperson said the UN and partners have increased aid deliveries to people in Gaza, distributing medical supplies, trauma kits and emergency shelter materials, but warned humanitarian services and water production remain far below pre-October levels.

The spokesperson said medical supplies have reached some 1,800,000 people, including trauma, primary health care and maternal-child health kits. Emergency shelter partners have delivered more than 27,000 bedding kits, 619,000 blankets, 122,000 mattresses and 129,000 items of clothing since the ceasefire, the spokesperson said.

The UN credited increased fuel availability and emergency repairs for more than doubling water production in Gaza since the ceasefire, but added total water supply still stands at about one-third of what was provided before October. The spokesperson said "sustaining the ceasefire is vital to continuing to scale up our response and to prevent further loss of life and human suffering." The briefing urged member states to use their influence to ensure the ceasefire holds.

On the West Bank, the spokesperson flagged a statement from Philippe Lazzarini, head of the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA), saying more than 50 people, including children, were reportedly killed since Israeli operations began about five weeks earlier and some 40,000 people had been forced to flee their homes, particularly from northern refugee camps. The spokesperson also noted a 14-hour raid in Nablus that left additional fatalities and injuries and described checkpoints closed by Israeli forces that left people stranded.

The UN spokesperson reiterated that potentially lethal force must be used only when strictly unavoidable to protect life and prevent serious injury and called for accountability and restraint.