Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Parks Recreation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City council approves nearly $800,000 contract to repair Kelly Courts after safety-related shutdown; neighbors press for further review
Summary
Hermosa Beach approved a $797,000 contract to rebuild and resurface Kelly Courts so tennis, basketball and two closed pickleball courts can meet current standards. Neighbors urged the council to pause the award and seek more public review over noise and hours; the council approved the contract 3–1–1.
Get email alerts on the Parks Recreation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Hermosa Beach City Council on Feb. 25 approved a construction contract to repair and reconfigure Kelly Courts, the multipurpose facility that includes tennis, basketball and the city’s pickleball courts, awarding the work to KYA Services for $797,000 with a roughly 20% contingency.
The contract will pay for a full court resurfacing, replacement of a retaining wall, relocation of a concrete slab and some light poles to meet current accessibility and sport-dimension standards, and new fencing. The project design was intended to bring the facility into compliance with guidelines used by USA Pickleball and applicable accessibility standards.
Neighbors and several commissioners urged more time for public review before the council approved the award, saying the restoration of two previously closed pickleball courts — returning the site to four courts — could substantially increase noise and daily impacts for adjacent residences. Several residents described persistent noise and said they had not received notice that the project would restore two courts to full operation.
Council members discussed whether pausing for additional outreach to residents and to the Parks & Recreation Commission would be appropriate. The council ultimately voted to award the contract; the outcome recorded on the motion was 3 in favor, 1 opposed and 1 abstention. Councilmember Mike DeToy voted no; Councilmember Michael Keegan abstained.
City staff said the project is expected to begin mobilization in April and to last about three months once construction starts. Staff also noted the courts have been closed or partially out of service for several years following safety and dimensional concerns; restoration work is intended to remedy those issues so the courts can be used without special waivers.
During debate, council members and staff described options available later if the reopening of all courts proves infeasible, ranging from schedule limits and reservation policy changes to restricting the number of active courts. Several council members said those operating and hours issues could be addressed through policy and through additional community engagement if residents request it. The council directed staff to continue outreach in the project’s construction phase and to coordinate with parks staff on operating policies if issues arise.
The contract award covers construction only; any changes to hours, reservation policy or long-term noise mitigation would be considered separately by the council or the Parks and Recreation Commission.
Outcome: The council approved the contract award to KYA Services for $797,000 with contingency funding; vote 3–1–1 (DeToy no; Keegan abstain). Staff will begin contractor mobilization and complete the project phases while continuing stakeholder outreach.

