Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Yemen Conflict Humanitarian topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

UN council warned of renewed tensions in Yemen as UN staff detained and WFP worker dies in custody

2307956 · February 13, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

A council representative warned of renewed fighting and a fourth wave of arbitrary detentions of United Nations personnel by Ansar Allah, urged an investigation into the death of a World Food Programme staffer and described worsening economic and humanitarian conditions across Yemen.

At a United Nations Security Council session, Speaker 1, Representative, said the recent regional de-escalation in the Israel–Gaza conflict and a temporary cessation of Red Sea attacks offered a fragile opportunity to press for further reductions in hostilities in Yemen.

The representative said the situation remains precarious because of what he described as "the fourth wave of arbitrary detentions of United Nations staff conducted by Ansar Allah last month" and cited the death of a UN colleague working for the World Food Programme while in detention. "These detentions are not only a violation of fundamental human rights but also a direct threat to the United Nations ability to provide humanitarian assistance to millions in need," he said, and added that he "joined the secretary general in calling for an immediate, transparent and thorough investigation of his death and for those responsible to be held accountable." The speaker urged the immediate and unconditional release of detained UN, NGO, civil society and diplomatic staff.

Why it matters: The representative framed the detentions and the death of a WFP staff member as direct threats to humanitarian operations that reach millions of Yemenis, and said continued military activity and economic collapse risk reversing recent, limited gains in regional de-escalation.

Details from the session: The speaker welcomed the release of the crew of the motor vessel Galaxy Leader and the unilateral release by Ansar Allah of 153 conflict-related detainees as positive steps, but warned of continuing military movements and attacks. He said reports indicated reinforcement and equipment movements and fighting, including shelling, drone strikes and infiltration attempts, in multiple governorates, and named Abyan, Al Dhale'a, Marib, Saada, Shabwah, Lahij and Taiz as areas of concern.

On the humanitarian and economic front, the representative said Yemen's economy was "rapidly deteriorating," citing prolonged blackouts in government-controlled areas, sometimes longer than 24 hours, and noting that Aden recently went three consecutive days without electricity, prompting street protests. He said the continued depreciation of the Yemeni rial had sharply raised the cost of food, medicine and fuel, making basic necessities unaffordable for many families across government- and Ansar Allah-controlled areas.

The representative also described outreach efforts by his office to incorporate local perspectives into political dialogues, saying he had recently engaged civil society, youth and women representatives from Aden, Abyan, Al Dhale'a, Lahij and Shabwah and had met Yemeni businesswomen who face regulatory constraints and limited banking access. He said women continue to face barriers to meaningful participation in the peace process.

On policy and diplomacy, the speaker reiterated his office's commitment to a political settlement under UN auspices, calling a nationwide cease-fire "the first step towards stability." He urged all parties and regional and international stakeholders to support de-escalation and confidence-building measures and cautioned that a return to full-scale military operations "would be a mistake for Yemen and a mistake for the stability in the wider region." He noted concerns about the upcoming U.S. designation of Ansar Allah as a foreign terrorist organization and said efforts toward peace should be protected while clarifications are sought regarding that designation.

No formal council vote or decision was recorded during the remarks. The representative said his office remains in regular contact with the parties and the military coordination committee and urged concrete confidence-building measures and a transparent investigation into the WFP staffer's death.

The session closed with the speaker saying, "This will not be easy. It requires commitment, courage, and action from all sides," and adding that he "remain[s] fully committed to confronting challenges head on with a clear, structured, and relentless approach."