Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Humanitarian Detentions Houthis topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
UN condemns death of WFP staff held by Houthi authorities, demands investigation and release of detained UN personnel
Summary
The UN secretary-general condemned the Feb. 10 death in detention of a World Food Programme colleague held by Houthi authorities and renewed calls for the immediate release of detained UN staff; the spokesman said 24 UN personnel remain held and that aid operations have been paused in at least one area over staff safety concerns.
Get email alerts on the Humanitarian Detentions Houthis topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The United Nations on Wednesday strongly condemned the Feb. 10 death in detention of a World Food Programme staff member who had been held by Houthi de facto authorities since Jan. 23, 2025, and demanded a “transparent and thorough investigation,” the secretary-general said in a statement read at a UN press briefing.
The statement, read by UN spokesperson Farhan, said the circumstances surrounding the death “remain unclear” and called for those responsible to be held accountable. It also said the continued arbitrary detention of dozens of personnel from the United Nations, national and international non‑governmental organizations, civil society groups and diplomatic missions is “unacceptable” and renewed a call for their immediate and unconditional release.
Farhan told reporters that, as of the briefing, 24 UN personnel were being held by the Houthis. When a reporter asked whether the UN believed humanitarian aid was being diverted, Farhan said, “We believe our aid is going where it needs to go,” but noted that the UN had paused assistance in one area — the governorate of DeSadda — until staff safety could be guaranteed.
The statement and briefing did not provide the detained staff member’s name, nor did they specify which international NGOs or other non‑UN personnel remain detained; Farhan said he could not speak for organizations outside the UN. The secretary‑general’s office said it is “urgently seeking explanations” from the Houthi de facto authorities.
The remarks and the questions from reporters took place during the regular UN press briefing ahead of the secretary‑general’s trip to Addis Ababa for the African Union summit.
Clarifying details included the Feb. 10 date of death, the detention start date given as Jan. 23, 2025, and the number of UN personnel currently held (24). The briefing noted a pause on aid deliveries in the DeSadda area pending guarantees for staff safety.

