Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Historic Preservation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Bernard's building added to historic registers; council schedules March 4 public hearing on future of 2100 S. Bonebrake
Summary
After the property owner described progress on historic‑designation and outreach efforts, the council set a public hearing for March 4 to consider the status and possible condemnation or repair timeline for 2100 South Bonebrake Street; staff recommended either a 90‑day window for repairs or initiation of condemnation.
Get email alerts on the Historic Preservation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Hutchinson City Council scheduled a public hearing for March 4 after lengthy staff and owner presentations about Bernard’s building at 2100 South Bonebrake Street, which staff has repeatedly deemed unsafe and dangerous.
Jason Laidy, building official, reviewed the property’s long history of code enforcement and the city’s earlier decisions to extend deadlines for repairs. Laidy told the council that while a shoring permit had been approved in a prior review cycle, staff do not have records showing the shoring was executed or inspected. He said the building’s roof deterioration and boarded windows continue to present a public‑safety concern and that the structure remains unsafe as defined in the city code.
Susie Bernard, owner of Bernard’s Catering and Pit Stop, described the building’s multi‑generational history and told the council she had pursued state and national historic registry listings. She said the building had been accepted for both the Kansas State Historic Register and the National Register, which opens potential grant opportunities that often require matching funds. “We have a shot,” Bernard said, noting that state historic staff and volunteers had inspected the structure and supported designation.
Council members and staff discussed the tradeoffs of historic designation: it makes the property eligible for grants and state support but also means state review of proposed work and stricter standards for materials and rehabilitation. City staff confirmed that listing does not prevent condemnation for safety reasons, and that any demolition or major changes would also require review by the state landmarks authority.
City staff offered two options: grant the owner 90 days to pursue grants and make measurable repairs with regular progress updates to council, or begin the condemnation process and return for a public hearing. The council voted to set a public hearing for March 4 so the community can weigh in; staff said that process would not preclude the owner from continuing repairs or pursuing grants during the interim.
Bernard and members of the community said they are pursuing grants and local assistance and asked the council for time to raise matching funds and complete shoring and targeted repairs. City staff said it will check whether existing shoring plans and permits are on file and will assemble required inspection records to present at the hearing.
The council’s action initiates a public process that will allow the owner to present rehabilitation plans and grant progress at a March 4 hearing; staff said they will provide the council a written progress update and any inspection records ahead of that date.

