Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Haiti Humanitarian And Protection topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

UN warns of high levels of gender‑based violence in Haiti and urgent $3.9 million UNHAS funding gap

2248890 · February 7, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

UN agencies reported nearly 6,500 incidents of gender‑based violence in Haiti over the past year and warned of rising attacks; the briefing also said the UN Humanitarian Air Service needs about $3.9 million to sustain flights for three months.

The United Nations said its humanitarian partners in Haiti reported nearly 6,500 incidents of gender‑based violence last year and warned that actual figures are likely higher. The spokesman said nearly two‑thirds of recorded cases were perpetrated by members of armed groups.

The briefing also cited a sharp rise in violence affecting children reported by UNICEF, and called attention to a funding shortfall threatening the UN Humanitarian Air Service (UNHAS) that provides access to remote, hard‑to‑reach areas.

The spokesman said UNHAS, managed by the World Food Programme, urgently needs $3,900,000 to sustain operations over the next three months.

Why it matters: levels of reported gender‑based violence and the risk to UNHAS operations both affect humanitarian access and protection in a country where insecurity limits service delivery.