Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Art Deaccession topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Austin artists, arts leaders urge council to pause deaccession of Convention Center artworks; council adopts item with one dissent

2171376 · January 30, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Artists and arts advocates urged the council to halt deaccessioning of large artworks at the Austin Convention Center, arguing removal plans lacked conservator assessments and would impose unreasonable costs on artists. Council approved the item on consent; Mayor Pro Tem recorded as voting no.

Artists and arts advocates urged the Austin City Council on Jan. 30 to pause plans to deaccession and remove large permanent artworks in the downtown Convention Center ahead of demolition and reconstruction of the facility.

John Yancey, the artist behind the mosaic "Riffs and Rhythms," and other arts leaders told the council that the city's current Art in Public Places (AIPP) deaccession policy, which places the financial burden for removal on the artist, is impractical for large monumental works. Yancey said the policy is "obsolete and not applicable to current realities" and raised the possibility that sudden deaccessioning could create violations of federal law protecting visual artists.

"The policy states the artist can reclaim the work at his or her expense. For a major monumental work this is unrealistic," Yancey told the council.

Speakers including Rudy Green, Donna Carter and Gerard Kinney asked the council to fund professional conservation assessments, to add costs for removal to the project budget and to explore storage or reinstallation options so the artwork is not destroyed. Carter, who chaired the committee that drafted Austin's first AIPP ordinance in 1985, said the works are "meant to endure" and should not be discarded as "inconvenient" to redevelopment plans.

City staff said they had reviewed the pieces and concluded some were not salvageable; staff also said they had been in communication with affected artists since at least the previous summer. The meeting record shows the council approved the related item on the consent agenda, and the mayor pro tem asked to be shown voting no on that item.

Why it matters: The convention center is central to the city's cultural and civic landscape; decisions about preservation or destruction of public art have legal, financial and cultural implications and shape trust between artists and the city. Artists said the city's deaccession process must be updated to reflect the costs and technical work required to move large-scale, integrated works.

What to watch next: Advocates asked for independent conservator reviews, cost estimates for removal to be included in the project budget, and a pause on deaccessioning until such assessments are complete. Council members signaled they would take the public comments into account as redevelopment and budgeting plans advance.