Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Budget topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

San Francisco fire budget faces 15% department reductions; officials say Prop F staffing carve‑out preserved

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Deputy Director Mark Corso presented the department’s operating budget outlook, telling the commission the mayor’s office asked departments to reduce general‑fund support by 15%, which equates to about $23.5 million for the fire department after carve‑outs for mandated staffing.

The San Francisco Fire Commission received an overview of the fire department’s operating budget on Jan. 22 from Mark Corso, deputy director of finance and planning, who said city budget instructions ask departments to reduce general‑fund support by 15% amid a multiyear structural deficit.

“The city is looking at a very large deficit over the two years,” Corso told the commission, describing the administration’s fiscal outlook and the budget instruction that departments identify reductions. For the fire department that reduction equates to about $23.5 million after the mayor’s office carved out mandated staffing for minimum safety levels, Corso said.

Corso walked commissioners through the department’s base budget and revenue structure. He said the department’s proposed operating budget shows a modest overall increase (about 3.1%) driven by previously agreed wage increases and fringe‑benefit adjustments; however, most spending — roughly 90% — is committed to salaries and benefits for frontline operations and therefore offers limited flexibility for cuts.

Corso listed several citywide constraints that will affect the department’s submission: a citywide travel freeze on lodging and airfare; a hiring freeze with a standing exemption for entry‑level firefighters; and an expanded review of contracts. He said all city departments must submit budgets to the mayor and controller’s offices by Feb. 21, with the mayor’s balanced budget due to the Board of Supervisors on June 1.

Commissioners asked for clarifications about the 15% reduction requests, the carve‑out for Proposition F minimum staffing requirements and the extent of the hiring freeze. Corso said the 15% reduction is calculated after removing carve‑outs for legal or mandated expenditures; the carve‑out for Proposition F, enacted to preserve minimum staffing on fire suppression, has been honored in the department’s base assumptions. He also said exemptions to the hiring freeze can be requested from the mayor’s office for critical positions.

Commissioners and Chief Dean Crispin discussed where potential savings might be found and emphasized the importance of maintaining response levels and staffing. Corso said work orders, workers’ compensation and central shops (vehicle maintenance) are large, relatively inflexible cost centers.

Corso said the department will continue refining staffing projections, capital requests and revenue opportunities before final submission. He described the next phase of negotiations with the mayor’s office and noted that many key decisions about citywide adjustments will occur during March–May budget deliberations.