Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Transportation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City Council withholds decision on planned Rinaldi Street extension after resident objections
Summary
After public testimony from nearby homeowners and a presentation by a Porter Ranch developer, the Los Angeles City Council withheld action for one week on an ordinance to extend Rinaldi Street over the 118 Freeway to DeSoto Avenue, citing need for more consideration of traffic and neighborhood impacts.
Get email alerts on the Transportation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Los Angeles City Council on Friday withheld a decision for one week on a proposed extension of Rinaldi Street over the 118 Freeway to DeSoto Avenue after several residents said the plan would harm nearby neighborhoods.
Residents said the planned roadway — part of the city's general plan for decades — is unnecessary and would increase traffic, noise and pressure on property values. Brad Surreys, who said he represents about 50 homeowners within roughly two blocks of the alignment, urged an alternative: an entry ramp onto the 118 that, he said, would meet the same goals without creating a four- to six-lane arterial through backyards.
"By creating a longer cycle it will stop traffic north and southbound on DeSoto that already creating a greater ... traffic problem on DeSoto than already exists," Surreys said, describing the project as a "connection to nowhere." Richard Fisher, a Chatsworth resident of 25 years, said the extension would serve relatively few people and would not be in the "public interest and necessity."
Representatives of the Porter Ranch Development Company countered that the extension has been on the general plan for 30 years, is part of specific plans and environmental review dating back to the project approvals, and was included as a conditioned improvement on subdivision maps. Michael Woodward, representing the developer, said the alignment is "well documented, well studied, well considered" and necessary to serve the growing community north of the 118.
Department of Transportation staff described the alignment as the product of years of engineering and public review and said the project seeks to balance public needs against private impacts. DOT representative H. Okazaki said properties needed for the project had been identified and that the alignment was discussed over many public hearings and engineering studies.
Councilman Bernsen withheld his motion on the item, closing the public hearing. "Mister Bernstein withholds. Item number 1 will go over one week," the council clerk announced, and the item was carried over to the next meeting for further consideration.
Why it matters: The extension would change traffic patterns in a western San Fernando Valley neighborhood and involves right-of-way and construction that residents say could remove residential property from the market and sharply increase cut-through traffic on DeSoto Avenue.
Next steps: The council set the ordinance over one week for further review and possible additional information from DOT and the city attorney's office.

