Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Local Government Votes topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Newport News City Council approves CUP, easement and right-of-way vacations and a $1.62 million appropriation
Summary
Newport News City Council on Feb. 11 unanimously approved a package of ordinances, a memorandum of understanding and an appropriation that together clear approvals for a Newport News Shipbuilding parking project, allow a contracting firm to locate an office on Warwick Boulevard and authorize city participation in a stormwater assistance program.
Get email alerts on the Local Government Votes topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Newport News City Council on Feb. 11 unanimously approved a package of ordinances, a memorandum of understanding and an appropriation that together clear approvals for a Newport News Shipbuilding parking project, allow a contracting firm to locate an office on Warwick Boulevard and authorize city participation in a stormwater assistance program.
The council voted 7-0 to adopt an ordinance granting Conditional Use Permit CU‑2024‑0012 to Rick J. Tavia, Cindy T. Malkin and WM Smith Contracting, Inc., to allow construction and operation of a contractor’s office on a 1.21-acre parcel at 12618 Warwick Boulevard in a C‑1 zone. Raymond Suttle Jr., an attorney with Kaufman & Canoles, spoke for the applicant during the public hearing and the council closed the hearing before taking the vote.
Council also approved three related land‑use actions tied to the Newport News Shipbuilding parking project. The council adopted an ordinance vacating a 5,000-square-foot utility easement, a 1,302.5-square-foot easement and a 214.5-square-foot drainage easement; and a separate ordinance vacating a roughly 6,000‑square‑foot portion of public right of way in the 300 block of 30 Eighth Street. City staff said the bulk of that block already had been conveyed to the shipyard in 1952; the council voted 7-0 on each measure.
During public comment on the right‑of‑way vacation, property owners and parking managers raised concerns about notice and the effect on downtown parking and access. Attorney Alan Tanner and property owner Neil Rosenbaum said adjacent landowners reported receiving no notice and asked the council to defer action and follow the statutory vacation process. City Attorney and staff responded that required notice was published and that much of the street had been conveyed previously to the shipyard; a city representative said the planned parking deck would add about 2,300 spaces to serve shipyard employees.
On non-land‑use matters the council approved a resolution authorizing the city manager to execute a 10‑year memorandum of understanding with the Colonial Soil and Water Conservation District to participate in the Virginia Conservation Assistance Program, a partnership the city said will provide technical and financial support for private stormwater projects with city engineering staff carrying out outreach and site evaluations.
The council also approved an appropriation of $1,620,863 from the Department of General Services fund balance to finance public building renovation and repair projects and to purchase replacement vehicles for Public Works. The consent agenda — including minutes from prior meetings and resolutions establishing the city’s remote participation and public participation policies — was approved unanimously.
All votes reported in the meeting were 7-0 unless otherwise noted. Several items drew public comment but the council proceeded with adoption after staff explanation. Implementation of the easement and right‑of‑way vacations is tied to the shipbuilding parking project and related property conveyances; some speakers indicated they may seek administrative or legal review of the vacation process.
Council documents and the city clerk’s office will record the adopted ordinances and the city manager’s office will execute the authorized MOU as directed.

