Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Arts Funding topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Bangor Cultural Commission weighs changing grant cycle, pursues larger arts budget and public-art funding
Summary
The Bangor Cultural Commission discussed moving its two annual grant cycles to a single yearly deadline, reviewed $20,000 in city grant funds and potential budget increases, and discussed active public-art procurements including an RFP and advertising costs.
Get email alerts on the Arts Funding topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
At a regular meeting of the Bangor Cultural Commission, members discussed whether the commission should move from two annual grant cycles to a single yearly deadline and considered asking the city for a larger annual grant allotment for cultural projects.
The commission’s grants committee chair, Holly Adams, said the commission currently has "$20,000 allocated from the city to disperse to applicants" and described two grant cycles with deadlines of April 1 and Nov. 1. Adams said the committee will discuss whether to consolidate the two cycles into one to avoid an imbalance that favors the fall cycle and to give all applicants an even comparison.
Commissioners said any change would likely take effect next year. Adams noted, “I think we'd have to say next November 1, it's gonna be the 1 of the year. Yep. And we want we'd obviously want all the institutions, and individuals in Bangor who typically apply to these grants to have some forewarning.” The grants committee plans outreach to past applicants and larger cultural organizations such as Penobscot Theatre and the Bangor Symphony Orchestra to solicit input.
Commissioners also discussed requesting a higher city allocation for grants. One commissioner said, “I'd like to ask for at least '25 Okay. For grants specifically,” reflecting support on the dais for asking the city for $25,000 in annual cultural grant funding. No formal vote on a budget request was recorded; staff said they will prepare budget materials and that final allocation decisions rest with city council.
The commission reviewed several active public-art procurement items tied to commission funding and programming. Staff reported an RFP for a public installation was posted on the city website and in the Bangor Daily News; advertising costs for that RFP were listed as $104 and will be charged to the commission’s regular funds. Staff said the RFP was posted “last Thursday or Friday” and that submissions are due on the 26th, but acknowledged confusion in the meeting over exact packet dates and question/response deadlines; staff said the packet contains the definitive schedule.
Staff also flagged a spring grant-funded installation by an artist, Mary Lee Shown, that is facing site-finding delays but remains active; staff said the grantee must submit expenses by May to be reimbursed from last year’s funds.
On procedural items, Adams said the grants committee will call for volunteers and schedule an initial meeting before April’s application deadline; the committee typically invites applicants to the May commission meeting for follow-up questions. Adams said the committee will also consider whether a one-deadline model should use a different month than November to fit organizations’ programming calendars and city disbursement timing.
Staff and commissioners discussed available external funding. Anne Krieg, the city’s director of community and economic development, reported attending a Maine Arts Commission information session and said staff can seek permission from the Business and Economic Development Committee to prepare a state grant application if the commission chooses to pursue it.
Ending: The commission did not take a formal vote on changing the grant schedule or on a specific budget request at the meeting. The grants committee will meet before April 1 to evaluate options and bring recommendations back to the full commission; staff will prepare budget materials for the upcoming city budget process.

