Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Code Enforcement topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents allege unsafe living conditions, contested demolition at Carson property; city manager to follow up
Summary
Speakers at public comment reported code violations and an alleged demolition without clear permits at 346 East 230 Eighth Street. City staff said the assistant city manager will contact residents and provide a written report on actions taken.
Get email alerts on the Code Enforcement topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Multiple residents raised concerns during public comment at the Aug. 5 Carson City Council meeting about alleged code violations, unsafe living conditions and a recent demolition at 346 East 230 Eighth Street.
Resident Miriam Cruz said she had reported building-code violations for that address on June 6 and followed up publicly on July 15. Cruz said she and others provided photos and met with inspector Richard Majors and that the council aide had forwarded images to acting public-safety director (identified in remarks as Miss Sanchez). She asked for a written report on what the city has done in response.
Another speaker, Josel Valerin, said an “illegal conversion” and an apparent demolition occurred the prior day and that a child had been sleeping in a nearby structure. Valerin said deputies arrived and a deputy would not show the occupants the paperwork he was carrying and warned that interfering could lead to arrest. Valerin asked that the site be inspected because of safety concerns.
Assistant City Manager Dr. Lennox (present in the chamber) told the speakers their contact information was on their speaker cards and that the city would follow up. The assistant city manager agreed to contact the speakers and provide a written report back to the council before the next scheduled meeting. The council’s public remarks did not specify the outcome of any prior inspections or whether formal enforcement action has been taken; the meeting record notes that staff will investigate and report.
What was said and what remains unresolved - Residents provided dates and documentation of outreach and inspections (June 6 report, July 15 public comment, July 23 photo submission, July 31 voicemail to inspector Majors). The speaker said a family—including a senior and a child—were living in sheds described as inhabitable. - A resident alleges a demolition occurred Aug. 4 and that deputies were present; the resident said the deputy declined to explain the paperwork and warned against interference. The resident requested inspection because of safety risks. - City staff committed to follow up and to provide a written report on actions taken and next steps; the written report had not been presented during the Aug. 5 meeting.
Why it matters Allegations of unsafe living conditions and demolition actions involving occupied structures raise potential public-safety and code-enforcement concerns. City staff committed to provide a written update to the speakers and the council, which will clarify whether enforcement, inspections or emergency housing referrals are appropriate.
Ending The assistant city manager told speakers they would be contacted before Thursday following the Aug. 5 meeting. The city’s written report and any subsequent enforcement actions will determine next steps for the residents who spoke.

