Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Demolition Cleanup topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Tupelo council approves demolition list after residents with shelter ties raise notice, repair concerns

Tupelo City Council · October 22, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The council approved demolition and cleanup for five properties Oct. 21 but a council member withheld a vote on 505 Barnes pending clarification after residents said they received no timely notice and described structural and ownership problems.

Council members voted Oct. 21 to approve demolition and cleanup for five properties, but the item drew extended public comment after two residents described housing-quality and notification problems tied to 505 Barnes.

Tony Hill, who identified himself as a resident connected to the property, told the council, "This house is a habitat house," and described repeated subfloor and water damage that he said builders and insurance would not cover. Jimmy Hill, who also spoke about 505 Barnes, said code enforcement previously "offered to buy the house for 45,000. First, it was 40,000," and gave contractors' repair estimates of about $20,000 for the center portion of the house. He also said he owed approximately $13,000 to the bank and that the property lacks a functioning mailbox, which may have prevented receipt of certified notices.

Council President and staff told the speakers there would be time to resolve the matter before demolition work would begin — "it doesn't mean tomorrow there's going to be equipment sitting in front of your house to tear it down; it's still 90 to 120 days away," the council stated — and staff committed to follow up. The mayor and staff said Tanner (code enforcement) and Kim (administrative staff) would reach out to the household to try to sort out title, contact information and potential alternatives.

When the council moved to approve all five listings (429 Barnes — retaining wall removal; 420 Talbert — wall and steps removal; 505 Barnes — full demolition; 611 North Church — full demolition; 428 Talbert — full demolition), a council member announced they would "not vote on that one [505 Barnes] until it gets clarified." The motion to approve the properties as listed passed 5–1.

The council did not adopt any new policy in this vote; it approved the specific demolition/cleanup actions presented on the agenda and directed staff to continue outreach and clarification for the contested parcel. Timing referenced by staff indicated property demolition actions typically follow additional administrative steps and would not be immediate.

Ending: Council members said staff would contact the Hills and attempt to resolve title and notice questions before any demolition contractor was scheduled to work on the property.