Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Code Enforcement topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Vista council declares 1820 East Vista Way a public nuisance, authorizes abatement
Summary
After staff outlined building, fire and zoning violations at 1820 East Vista Way, council voted unanimously to declare the property a public nuisance and authorize the city manager to abate outstanding hazards if the owner does not cure violations.
Get email alerts on the Code Enforcement topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Vista City Council unanimously adopted a resolution declaring 1820 East Vista Way a public nuisance and authorizing the city manager to abate the property if violations remain uncorrected.
Assistant to the city manager Joshua Sinocruz and Code Enforcement Manager Clarence Rich told the council the property had been the subject of repeated complaints this summer for nighttime noise and junk accumulation and later for hazardous vegetation and unsafe building conditions. Sinocruz identified unpermitted auto repair activity, illegal meter bypassing, exposed wiring, unpermitted room additions and failing load-bearing walls (development code section 18.30.1; muni code section 8.36.040; building code references were presented during staff remarks). Fire staff issued a notice under California Fire Code section 304.102 for combustible vegetation and cited the property for failing defensible-space requirements (muni code 8.62.030), staff said.
Tenant Glenn Shurick said he and his roommates have paid contractors and electricians to address problems and removed trailers of trash, but that the registered owner had not been responsive. “We’ve spent thousands of dollars cleaning this property up with no help from the landlord,” Shurick said at the hearing. A representative for the owners, Scott Burns, told council the owners were preparing additional cleanup and asked for an opportunity to finish work when the owner returned to town.
Staff recommended council open the public hearing, adopt the resolution finding the site a public nuisance and authorize the city manager to abate the nuisance. Council members pressed staff for the record of prior contacts; staff said at least six documented contacts from building, fire and code enforcement had been made since July and the property had been posted and mailed notice on Oct. 9. Councilmembers emphasized resident safety and the multiple missed deadlines and then moved to adopt the staff recommendation.
The council recorded the action as a unanimous vote. Staff said if a follow-up inspection shows conditions already cured, the owner would be responsible only for existing citations; if not, the city can abate and lien the property for abatement costs. Councilmembers noted criminal enforcement remains an option where unlawful occupancy of a red-tagged structure occurs.
The council did not set a demolition decision tonight; staff said a licensed engineer would be asked to evaluate whether the structure could be repaired or required demolition before any further action beyond abatement of debris and vegetation.

