Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Bellflower business owner urges city action after rise in homeless activity near Bellflower Boulevard

Bellflower City Council · October 28, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

A Bellflower business owner told the City Council that increased homeless activity, vandalism and drug use near Bellflower Boulevard and Walnut has made his customers feel unsafe. Council members pledged follow-up with public safety staff and the new property operator, Olive Crest, and approved special-patrol outreach.

Michael Morales, owner of Dialysis Education Services at 16925 Bellflower Boulevard, told the Bellflower City Council on Oct. 27 that increased homeless activity near the corner of Bellflower and Walnut has created an unsafe environment for his clients and staff.

"We are currently seeing a lot of activity on that corner of Bellflower and Walnut," Morales said during the public-comment period, describing what he called a rise in vandalism, drug use and prostitution near his business and the adjacent Olive Crest foster-home property. "Just a couple weeks ago, I had five windows in my building broke, I'm assuming, by these, these, homeless or, even some of the criminal activity that we're seeing in our parking lot and in the back parking lot."

The council responded by describing ongoing efforts and limits to enforcement. "We've all of us up here have been fighting it. We have a sheriff department that really doesn't wanna do much, and it's not the sheriff department itself. It's the policy from the higher ups that don't wanna do it," Mayor Dutton said. He offered to connect Morales with the city's public-safety chief, saying, "before we leave tonight, I'm gonna let you talk to Mr. McNerney. He is our head of our public safety, and maybe we can get you some special patrols at your business." Morales confirmed he had previously seen a security guard when the property was managed by Moharn Realty and said the dynamics worsened after Olive Crest took over the site.

Council members and staff highlighted two near-term follow-ups: (1) a meeting between Morales and public-safety staff in the foyer after the meeting; and (2) outreach to Olive Crest, the new property operator, to ask it to honor commitments in its operating agreement and to address loitering and trashing on and near its property. Council members also noted the city has used private security patrols in the past when sheriff resources were limited.

Morales said the activity has harmed commerce and customer perception and raised safety concerns for trainees who come to his dialysis-education business. He asked the council to consider coordination with the sheriff's office, targeted patrols, and contact with Olive Crest leadership. Council members acknowledged those requests and said staff would pursue them.

Votes at a glance

- Motion to excuse Council Member Wendy Morris from the meeting: moved, seconded and approved without objection (oct. 27).

- Motion to adopt the consent calendar excluding item 14(h): moved by Mayor Pro Tem Sonny Santinez, seconded by Council Member Dan Coops, and approved "without objection." Item 14(h) was pulled because three council members had a potential property conflict related to the item; council members said the item will return when the quorum and conflict issues are resolved.

What happens next

City staff and the public-safety chief were identified as follow-up points for Morales; council members also asked staff to contact Olive Crest leadership about site management. The council did not adopt any new ordinances or formal policy changes at the meeting.