Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Police Hiring topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Moraine merit commission ends police eligibility lists, approves ads to recruit entry-level and lateral officers
Summary
The Moraine Merit System Commission voted Oct. 7 to terminate existing police eligibility lists after recent hires and approved advertisement periods to recruit entry-level and lateral officers, setting the ad run from Oct. 10 to Nov. 7 and scheduling a follow-up meeting the week of Nov. 10 to certify lists.
Get email alerts on the Police Hiring topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Moraine Merit System Commission voted on Oct. 7 to terminate current police eligibility lists and to publish recruitment advertisements for both entry-level and lateral full-time police officers.
Chief (name not specified) told commissioners the department had recently hired one lateral candidate, Ian Dalton, who "is out and functioning on his own right now, went through FTO," and one entry-level recruit, Tyler Fox, who "is in the academy right now and, gets gets out here in the next few weeks." The chief recommended terminating the current lists and starting new entry-level and lateral processes simultaneously.
"There's no more viable candidates on there, and there's less than 10," the chief said, arguing for list termination. He also reported the department has "at least 1 open spot right now" and expects to have "3 after the first of the year," noting "4 retirements next year, 1 as early as January." The chief said the city has "increased my budget" and that extra funded positions are available for six months to allow hiring ahead of retirements; he estimated the department would "anticipate hiring, in the next year at least, 5, if not 6 people."
A motion to terminate the entry-level eligibility list was made and seconded and passed on roll call. Commissioners voting yes were Mr. Kemp, Mr. Watts and Ms. Delf. The commission also moved to terminate the cadet list after the chief said a conditional offer had been made to a cadet candidate; that motion passed by the same recorded yes votes.
The commission approved an ad for publication to recruit a full-time entry-level officer, with commissioners discussing hourly rates taken from the contract and confirming those rates before publication. After discussion, the commission set the advertisement to begin Friday, Oct. 10, and to run for four weeks, ending Nov. 7, with a meeting scheduled the week of Nov. 10 to review certified lists and related materials. The commission approved running the lateral-entry advertisement on the same dates.
Votes at a glance - Motion to excuse Ms. Wastie: moved, seconded and approved (Mr. Kemp: yes; Mr. Watts: yes; Ms. Delf: yes). Ms. Wastie was recorded as excused/absent. - Motion to terminate entry-level eligibility list: moved, seconded and approved (Mr. Kemp: yes; Mr. Watts: yes; Ms. Delf: yes). - Motion to terminate cadet list: moved, seconded and approved (Mr. Kemp: yes; Mr. Watts: yes; Ms. Delf: yes). - Motion to approve publication of entry-level hiring ad (Oct. 10–Nov. 7): moved, seconded and approved (Mr. Kemp: yes; Mr. Watts: yes; Ms. Delf: yes). - Motion to approve publication of lateral hiring ad (same dates): moved, seconded and approved (Mr. Kemp: yes; Mr. Watts: yes; Ms. Delf: yes).
Clarifying details recorded at the meeting include the recent hires (Ian Dalton, lateral; Tyler Fox, entry-level), the departments current and projected staffing (one open spot now, three after Jan. 1, four retirements next year with one as early as January) and the citys temporary budget increase to fund additional positions for six months to allow hiring ahead of retirements. The advertisement dates were fixed as Oct. 10 through Nov. 7, with a follow-up meeting the week of Nov. 10 to certify lists.
The meeting concluded at 09:32 after commissioners confirmed no further business.

