Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Land Use topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Monroe council denies rezoning for car wash and gas station after neighborhood opposition
Summary
Monroe City Council denied a rezoning request for 2691 W. Roosevelt Blvd. on Feb. 11 after neighbors testified that a proposed car wash and gas station would direct commercial traffic into a narrow residential street and create safety and environmental concerns.
Get email alerts on the Land Use topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Monroe City Council on Feb. 11 denied a zoning map amendment that would have allowed a car wash, fueling canopy and related neighborhood commercial uses at 2691 West Roosevelt Boulevard.
The applicant proposed access from U.S. 74/West Roosevelt and a secondary entrance onto Arnold Drive. Planning staff and the applicant revised plans during the review to add channelizing islands and other modifications. Planning staff recommended approval; the planning board recommended denial.
Hundreds of pages of public comment and more than a dozen residents spoke at the public hearing, nearly all in opposition. Neighbors cited concerns about increased traffic and cut-through use of Arnold Drive, risks to children and elderly residents, noise and light pollution, and potential groundwater contamination from underground storage tanks. Victor Little, an Arnold Drive resident, told council the street already functions as a detour for freight and emergency traffic and that a rear commercial exit would make the road less safe.
Applicant representatives said they were working with the fire marshal and city engineering on access and circulation but asked for time to resolve technical matters. Council members said they had heard significant resident opposition and expressed concern the rear access would funnel commercial traffic into an established, largely single-family neighborhood with no sidewalks.
After public testimony council moved to deny the rezoning; the motion carried by voice vote. Staff recorded that the planning board had earlier voted to deny the application and that the applicant had sought to withdraw but council proceeded with the hearing and decision. Council directed staff to enforce conditions consistent with the denial and to continue to solicit community input for alternative development concepts for the site.

