Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Setback Trees topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Commission approves removal of two Italian stone pines at 318 El Monte Drive, reverses STAC denial

Parks and Recreation Commission · January 30, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

After hearing testimony from neighbors and the property owner, the commission voted to approve removal of two mature Italian stone pines at 318 El Monte Drive, finding a safety/property-damage basis for removal and requiring replacement plantings per the applicant's plan.

The Parks and Recreation Commission on Jan. 29 reversed the Street Tree Advisory Committee's recommendation and approved an application to remove two Italian stone pines at 318 El Monte Drive.

The property owner and project representatives said the mature trees have caused repeated hardscape damage to driveways and foundations, have extensive roots close to garages and driveways, and present ongoing maintenance and insurance concerns. Applicant representative Sean Lynch told the commission the owners initially sought to retain the trees but, after on-site review and further consultation, concluded the trees' impacts on structural elements and repeated root disturbance warranted removal. Neighbor Danny Siegel, who lives uphill of the site, described prior costly repairs (including a reported sewer-lateral replacement) and said the roots had been cut and that the trees posed a structural and safety risk.

STAC had reviewed the trees, inspected the site and recommended denial, stating both trees appeared healthy and had significant amenity value; STAC members urged alternatives such as root-management measures, pruning or driveway realignment. Duke McPherson, a STAC member, noted preservation options such as root pruning were possible but acknowledged driveway routing would be challenging.

Commissioner O'Donough (mover) asked the commission to weigh the property-level safety and repeated structural impacts against STAC's preservation recommendation. After discussion, the commission voted to approve the removals with a finding under the municipal code that removal is warranted "for the safety of persons or property." The motion included a planting condition; the applicant indicated replacement plantings as described in the application will be installed. (Transcript language contained a transcription error describing replacement sizes; staff recorded the applicant's replacement proposal as one 24-inch coast live oak and four 48-inch fruitless olive trees.)

Next steps: Staff will issue a removal permit conditioned on the replacement plantings and will monitor installation and compliance. The commission decision overwrote STAC's denial for this front-setback request and recorded the safety-of-persons-or-property finding as the basis for approval.